Chapter 22: Home Not Sweet Home

Onika's Maraj.

I slowly scooted to the end of the bed and reached for my sweatsuit. Half–hour past and Bey strolled in with a medicine bag in hand.

"Took you long enough." I mumbled.

"You're all set mamas?"

I rolled my eyes. "Mm-hm."

She lowly chuckled, waving in a dismissive manner, and started grabbing my belongings. I slid on my rib brace and grasped a crutch.

"Do you need help?"

"Nope."

"Seriously, what's wrong with you?"

"Nothing–"

"Don't lie to me." She warned.

"There's nothing wrong with me! You the one that need some evaluation." I sassed.

"Me?"

"Yes! ... You've been leaving out early and coming in late and don't you dare! Ma already warned me what you been up too.. I guess the other day I had to see for myself."

"I told you it was just a stain–"

"What a liar" I bitterly chuckled. "I thought we had an agreement Beyoncé! That you would lay off the violence until necessary."

"Protecting you is necessary."

"Protecting me?!" I ridiculed. "Protecting me from what Beyoncé? Hm?! The store is burned down and I'm glad to be breathing.. This whole situation needs to be over."

"It's not over." She snapped, shaking her head, and paced in circles. "This was no accident and I'm not resting anytime soon."

"So what? You're going burn this entire city down, putting innocent people at risk?!"

"I'm sorry that I'm can't play good cop all the damn time aight?" She deadpanned.

I opened my mouth to say something but closed it once I saw the nurse walking in. She wore a warm grin on her face.

She passed my discharge paper over and instructed me to sign a few things. Beyoncé walked out of the room without uttering a word.

"Okay! You're all set." She bubbled. "Therapy will be every Monday and Wednesday. I recommended the morning sessions but its all up to you."

I nodded my head.

"Any questions Mrs. Knowles?"

"Maraj." I corrected.

"Oh Maraj." She exclaimed. "Do you have anymore questions or–"

"No thank you."

"Ok! It was pleasure meeting you and have a good evening Ms. Maraj."

I faked a smile and hobbled on crutches out of the room and toward the main exit. I winced every now and again.