Chapter 1: Homecoming

7:50am

"Okay! Wait a minute."

The gates of the school finally opened and children were more than anxious to roam the hallways and give their teachers hell including my little rascals.

Grand Ridge Elementary school was a lot bigger than what was expected and the neighborhood seemed less friendly than what was advertised.

"How much longer?" Maya sassed, folding her small arms.

I chuckled and finished tying her shoes. The young girl was only six years old but her attitude was ticking at thirty five.

After straightening her jacket and blouse, Maya was ready to have some fun while Khalil was still slightly hungover from this morning.

I sighed once more. "Let's do another backpack check."

"Come on mommy, I'm a big girl now!"

"I know but-"

"Yeah, mama relax!" Khalil laughed and slung his backpack over his shoulders. "We are just going to school, not the army."

"If you play around with the wrong whit-" I mumbled, standing up from the ground and dusting myself off. "child and you're going to be entering a whole different warzone."

"As long as they got food then I'm good." He beamed and rubbed his belly.

"You are too much." I shook my head, laughing and kissed Maya's cheek while ruffling Khalil's curls, something I knew he hated with a passion.

They were practically identical twins despite different complexions and height.

Khalil and Maya's faces were similar to mine and both of them carried light brownish eyes.

However, Khalil's height and facial expressions reminded me of his sperm donor while Maya's lips were from her father.

"Quit mama, you messing up my drip." Khalil whined.

"Boy what drip?" I laughed some more, smacking his head and tried to kiss him.

"Stop mama, you're embarrassing me!" He said, mushing my head away.

"Boy ain't nobody checking-"

"Mommy! I got people waiting on me, can we please go?!"

I cut my eyes at her then slowly bobbed my head. Maya didn't waste any time bolting inside of the gate. Khalil drugged his feet behind her.

He was not excited about moving back to our hometown especially to live with my father and the feeling was mutual.

However, this was our last resort and kept them out of harm's way, especially from their fathers. I was trying my best to manage life with two kids so help was very much appreciated. This was only a temporary fix and I already had my goals planned out.

"Make sure to call me after school!" I called out.

I stayed outside for a moment or two, making sure they entered the building safely.