06

Fushiguro Megumi knew it was dangerous to fall asleep with one of Sukuna's fingers in his grasp.

Curses that were drawn to it could easily overpower him at this moment since he used up so much energy to defeat one of the finger bearers that consumed it.

But he couldn't help how heavy his eyelids were.

He tried to fight the overpowering feeling that was washing over him, but that sweet temptation of sleep was just beckoning him over. Maybe he was fighting the desire to pass out too much because he blinked once and immediately saw a blurry figure of a young girl hovering over him.

A manifestation of sleepiness coming to lure him into a dreamless slumber, maybe?

He could faintly make out the easygoing smile on her face, there were two long, dark locks that slipping off of her shoulders and an odd headdress behind her. She kneeled above him, her voice lulling his mind and melting it into nothing. Her fingers brushed the hair out of his eyes, rubbing the dirt off of his skin and humming. She hummed a tune so gently like a lullaby, and he murmured to her, "I can't fall asleep."

"You cannot?" She asked with humor in her tone. "Sleeping is essential to humans, is it not? Why fight it?"

". . . Dangerous," He could only breathe out amongst feeling nothing but pain start to take over his body. She laughed, a laugh that twinkled like the stars that were starting to burn in the dark abyss of the night sky, "Sleep. We will keep you safe."

Megumi didn't argue against her words this time, and closed his eyes shut. His lips parted to breathe, his breath shaky as he did. His chest rose and fell erratically before settling into a more relaxed rhythm when the girl pressed her fingertips to his ribs.

The woman leaned forward, grabbing onto the finger held in his loose grasp and examining it closely. She turned it, flipped it around and caressed it before placing it back into the unconscious boy's palm. She crossed her arm over her chest, and another voice spoke beside her, "Is it wise to let him keep the finger?"

"It is. If what you told me is anything to go by, then the finger is right where it needs to be," She responded as she turned to her companion. "We just have to make sure it is safe until his vessel returns. Is that fine with you, Uraume?"

"It is," They repeated as they nodded their head. "Why did you agree to protect it?"

"Menreiki likes you and you serve Sukuna so Menreiki will help in what you wish," She replied as she looked at the sleeping boy. Uraume spoke before they could think, "Then, will you see Master Sukuna when it's time?"

She frowned slightly before asking if it was what they wanted. Uraume, of course, held a sturdy resolve and confirmed that it was. With a sigh, she combed through the sleeping boy's hair, "Yes, I suppose I could."

"Why do you hate him so much?" Uraume asked. Sukuna spoke about her vehemently, yet she avoided talking about him almost every chance she got. Menreiki didn't reply, but the smaller circle the masks made around them was enough to tell how she was feeling. She hummed, "Menreiki . . . cannot remember. Menreiki's memories are still filled with cobwebs. But when Menreiki hears his name, Menreiki feels—"

"Master," Kitsunemen spoke up from where he floated about. "Perhaps you're getting a bit tired. You expended too much energy that you still have yet to recover."

Menreiki's thoughtful look on her face dissolved and her lips turned into that smile he was accustomed to, "Yes, that's right. Perhaps Menreiki is just tired."