12

Menreiki had run away from someone other than Sukuna.

Nanami Kento was just as, if not more, persistent than Sukuna was when he was a human. However, he was not pursuing her lightheartedly like Sukuna used to, but he was chasing after her in an attempt to kill her instead.

The way her heart hammered against her rib cage, and the constant feeling of having to look over her shoulder made her feel weak.

Not even the masks, who were practically unbreakable, were able to protect her from the murderous path of this sorcerer. They shattered under the weapon of this sorcerer. They were broken to pieces as soon as they were struck by Nanami's weapon, and they dissolved into black matter, but the masks only returned a minute later after reforming.

The mask of Fukujin fell, and Menreiki looked at Nanami who stood in his striking stance.

Quickly, Menreiki floated away, but once more, Nanami followed her without an ounce of hesitation or fear.

"With that look in your eyes, I'm assuming no one has ever gotten this far with you," He spoke as he pushed up his odd eyewear. The glare of it hindered her from seeing where he was looking, but from the way her body had erupting goosebumps on the surface of her skin, she could heavily assume that he was staring straight at her. "You even screamed when I hit you the first time."

Her eyebrows twitched at his words.

"If the legends are true then you've never left that circle of masks," He declared as he started loosening his tie. "If that's true, then that means you have a low pain tolerance."

"And?" She murmured from where she hovered in the air, the only place she could stay safe.

He inclined his head to the side a bit, "And that means that the only way to exorcise you is by dragging you out."

Menreiki's eyes went wide as he ran under her, bending his knees and reaching up with his right hand. His fingertips brushed her heels just for a few seconds prior to her bringing her legs to her chest, and he scoffed as he fell.

"Nanamin! We can help!" Yūji's voice echoed down the street, his and the other two boy's figures being similar to a dot from how far the two have moved.

Menreiki frowned at his words.

The idea of four men ganging up on her wasn't odd as that sort of plan had played out before in the past. However, it was much different than the past as well. Out of the four men, Nanami Kento was far too dangerous to ignore. Keeping her attention on one man would prove to be far too difficult if she went on the offense, and fending off the three others while knowing one hosted Sukuna left a horrible feeling in her gut.

"No, I'll handle it," Nanami muttered to himself. He glanced at the cursed spirit that was starting to descend to the ground. As he noticed the cautious gaze fixated on him, he thought, This can't be the true might of Menreiki. There's no way someone of her caliber could easily be defeated like this. Well, I'm not complaining either since it means I won't have to throw my life away holding her off.

Menreiki's voice spoke, "Your name is . . . Nanamin?"

"No, it's not," He scoffed with unamusement.

"Then what is it?"

"I don't usually give my name out so easily."

She hummed, "I just wanted to know the name of my enemy so that I could pray for his safe passage to the afterlife."