31

Prince Shōtoku was their father, their creator, the one who crafted all brothers and sisters from the same hinoki wood. His hands did not bring life to their wooden faces, though he carefully sculpted each of them with such delicacy. His voice, though tired as he worked relentlessly on all sixty-six of them, was full of hope for all of them. He spoke of their goals, of what they were to be used for, of why he chiseled their features the way he did.

Kitsunemen was made for his sly nature rather than his wisdom as he was still a young fox, but eventually, he will come to be known for his intelligence. His snout was sleek as it was molded to protrude out, his mouth shut into a neutral line, though the corners of it dipped down into a slight frown. His eyes were tilted diagonally with his black scleras shown as if to emphasize a curious look, or perhaps it was created that way to further highlight the slim shape of his face.

Uba was made afterwards with wrinkled, bony features of a woman who had grown old with grace. Though Otobide might spew a few hateful words that she had not, Prince Shōtoku thought she had, so that was what was presented. Prince Shōtoku had given her thin, high eyebrows and sunken eyes that dipped down into her carved cheekbones. Prince Shōtoku made her mouth open just the slightest in a subtle frown as if to express displeasure, but what it was that caused her chagrin was never revealed by the royal man.

Otobide was created for the intention of power and might, and to represent the God of Thunder, Raijin, who was fierce with a frightening face. Prince Shōtoku made Otobide have protruding, round metallic eyes that were initially crossed to make it appear as if they were constantly rolling. It made him appear more life-like than his other siblings, as if he was taken over by a true spirit or divinity. Crescent shaped eyebrows rested over his eyes as if to express surprise with a prominent, flattened nose and big ears to further stress Otobide's grand figure. His mouth had been left open to showcase his upper and lower teeth with the tip of his wide, red tongue poking out.

With such detail going into him, it was no surprise that Otobide found himself being incredibly self-confident.

Saru, as his name suggested, was named and created for carrying the looks of a monkey. He was initially created to ward off evil spirits, as the Japanese word saru was also the verb for "go away". Though, Kitsunemen was sure that Prince Shōtoku wasn't aware of the fact that Saru would eventually come to become the most frightened out of all of them. Perhaps he had been overused to ward off evil spirits prior to gaining consciousness that their poor brother had unconsciously grown to fear such frightful situations.

As for their other siblings, Fukujin was molded to appear similar to a Laughing Buddha, though his name stemmed from Fukunokami meaning the God of Good Fortune. Similar to a Laughing Buddha, Fukujin sported a wide, circular face with cheeks that were smoothed out and curved due to his everlasting smile. His eyes were closed in jubilant glee and gentle curves for his eyebrows to express his gentle nature. His mouth was wide as it showcased his gold painted teeth, and drooping earlobes that filled his round face.

Semimaru was to be created as a young boy who was blind, but eventually Prince Shōtoku opted to create Semimaru into a blind old man. Similarly to Uba, he sported wrinkles that were intricately carved into his forehead and cheeks, his eyes closed and a prominent frown on his face. Perhaps it was displeasure due to his disability, though no one knew of why he crafted Semimaru with a frown other than Prince Shōtoku himself.

Komote was said to be the most beautiful mask of them all. She was a young woman at her prime with gentle features and barely any golden markings painted upon her white skin to showcase perfection. Her small eyebrows laid near her forehead, with her eyes created to be closed to express a simple joy that paired well with the kind smile on her face. Her simper was formed by her full, gold-painted lips and golden circles on her cheekbones as her youthful blush. She was to showcase an innocent, almost naive, but beautiful maiden who was to be loved by all.