next time, we will dance in the sea of stars together

This is to celebrate the 200+ hearts on Quotev. I hope you all enjoy! 

There once lived a village that was settled near the sea.

The people were captivated by the clear water that lapped the sandy shores and the gentle waves that rolled over one another. Their desire to stay in this place only grew amongst seeing the abundance of sea life that could easily sustain the people and their children for years. So the people stayed and grew their village around the shore, adapting to its natural landform and creating a sustainable system that allowed them to survive.

Yet the villagers didn't know of the sea's rage.

They were often struck by the rage of a towering tsunami.

It engulfed them, devoured them whole, and destroyed their village's existence with a single wave. It was almost as if a divine entity was trying to push them away from the sea, but yet, the villagers stayed. They stayed for there was nowhere else to go, nowhere else that could allow them to survive and live as graciously as this beautiful land.

Why would anyone want to live somewhere else when they could live where the land and sea met in harmonious unity?

So instead, they stood at the edge of the cliff at the outskirts of the village to pray. At the bottom was a rocky terrain, sharp and wet from when the sea slammed against it harshly before receding back into its large body. The adults always told their children to be careful when they played near the cliff, most saying that if they fell over, the god of the sea would claim them. Instead of the cliff becoming a spot to avoid, it actually became a place of religious uses.

The villagers believed that the god of the sea reigned diligently over this land, and they offered bountiful offerings in order to appease the god.

Yet nothing worked, and the flooding and heavy rain overtook their land.

But here they stood in the midst of the night, once more praying to this unseen god of the sea, to ask for protection from their own wrath.

A villager stood at the far back of the crowd, hands barely pressed together in a prayer. His lips barely parted to pray to the god, voice drawled out as he mindlessly repeated the chant that their village priest was spouting. He didn't find any reason for them to pray to the god that was trying to get rid of them.

What type of god would try to protect the people that they were trying to get rid of in the first place?

"Sukuna!" A hiss was heard to the right of him. A woman looked at him with a glare, lips tightly pursed and hands held close to her chest as she prayed. "Pray!"

He wanted to tell her that it was futile.

God held no compassion for those that disobeyed his will, and his will, as of now, was to get rid of the pests that was them.

As the prayer ended, the villagers were confronted by a deep voice. It was powerful and commanding, shaking the land quite literally, "You pray and you pray and you ask for protection. I try to get rid of you and yet you persist to live in the land where I reign."

The villagers fell to their knees, some more quickly than the others. Sukuna, himself, was one of the last few who kneeled down, eyes glancing everywhere as if he would be able to catch a glimpse of the god that spoke. Yet, he found nothing but the swaying trees and the faint outline of their village nearby.

Sukuna didn't really believe in gods.

He didn't like the idea of someone sitting high above him, stringing him along to make sure he fulfilled his predestined fate. He didn't believe in destiny and god's will because he wanted to feel as if he was in control of himself. He wanted to make it seem as if he was allowed to make his own decisions and carve out his own path to what he desired and what he thought would bring him happiness.