×16×

Erica was panicking. Her heart was racing, there was a loud ringing in her ears. Her breathing was harsh as her fight or flight reactions kicked in.

As she ran through the crowds of people bustling about, she turned her head back in fear to see if he was chasing her and to her utter dismay, she saw the tall man scanning the area obviously looking for her.

She believed that her disguise had failed her, and that Walter had recognised her. He was going to catch her and report her to the Countess.

Erica was afraid.

Not concentrating on the path in front on her, Erica bumped into the shoulder of someone. This caused her to lose balance due to the speed she was running at and fly forward nearly face planting into the ground before her.

Fortunately, the person she had bumped into managed to grab her arm to stop her fall just in time.

"Careful." He spoke.

Erica stared at him wide eyed not knowing how to react before her gaze was directed past him to the oncoming Walter. Panicked and not thinking, she grabbed the man by the hand and pulled him off into a quiet alleyway.

Aleric who had been making his way to meet up with Louis at the bridge, had been too startled to react to the young boy who had bumped into him and dragged him off in a hurry.

When they had finally stopped, he was about to confront the boy but halted when he noticed the fearful expression on his pale face as his eyes darted around the corner and analysed the busy street. Aleric could see that the strange boy was absolutely terrified of something.

Carefully looking past the boy, and over his shoulder, he followed the boy's gaze all the way to a very familiar tall figure of his dear friend Walter who was searching the crowd.

Turning back to face the frighten boy, he could only conclude that Walter, with that pissed off expression he carried, most likely came off in a threatening manner while he searched and questioned those around him for the two specific buggers who ditched him.

While staring at the boy Aleric soon realised that the person before him was not actually a boy. She was far too pretty to be one. What a strange girl...

"Can you please let me go?" He politely asked indicating to her iron like grip on his hand.

Erica was suddenly brought back to the situation before her. She was shocked to discover a strikingly handsome gentleman staring back at her with an unimpressed look. Blushing in embarrassment she quickly let go silently mouthing words of apology and bowing her head.

Aleric let out a sigh and watched the silent lady before him waiting for her to stop. He didn't question why he couldn't hear her voice when she apologised, simply brushing it off as the fact that she was trying not to draw attention to the people passing by.

When Erica looked up again there was an awkward silence. Not knowing how to deal with this, she tried her best to remain calm. Maybe the beautiful man before her was not convinced her apology was enough. She was slightly uncomfortable at this thought and did the only thing that came to her mind in that moment.

She dug into her pocket and pulled out a delicate little pouch. Georgie had given it to her earlier when they had stopped off at a sweet shop. Inside was some of the most divine little candies that she had ever tasted, not that she had tasted many. Holding out the pouch, she offered some to the gorgeous stranger before her.

Aleric was bewildered at this action. He couldn't understand this girl before him. At first, he thought she may have been some commoner but the way she moved and presented herself stated otherwise. This girl was clearly of nobility and had purposefully targeted him.

He assumed that this was all an act. She had recognised the crown prince and had been stalking him. She decided to purposefully make a move when she saw he was alone. As for dressing up as a boy, it was all part of her plan to make it easier for her to approach him. She used Walter as the perfect excuse to drag him off and create a scene making him feel sympathetic for her. She obviously knew, since she was a stalker, that he was looking for him.

A vile woman indeed. He couldn't believe that she had gone to such crazy lengths to get his attention. He had come across many just like her all desperately trying to do the most bizarre things just to stand a chance of marrying the crown prince and becoming the future queen one day. All after the high position in society that being with him offered.

To think that this girl, although beautiful, was blatantly offering him sweets, that were obviously drugged as part of her crazy plan, so casually and calmly were beyond him.

Seeing that nothing was happening, Erica awkwardly took the sweets back. She couldn't help but think that this man was very strange, all he did was stare.

Shrugging this thought off, she turned to leave and dug into the pouch and pulled out a candy popping it onto her mouth. The taste was truly delicious. She glanced round the busy street thankful that she couldn't see her brother Walter anywhere and made her way off.

If Aleric was shocked before than he was even more so now. He could not understand the strange girl's actions. On a further note, she had turned and walked away without his dismissal as the crown prince. If she had truly known his title, she would not have done that no matter what games she was playing.

Had he misjudged her? The reality of that thought dawned on him. He kept trying to deny it but the way she reacted to him proved different.

He felt bad. She had apologised to him and even offered him something in compensation for her actions that clearly weren't on purpose.

Aleric hated this guilty part of himself and let out a sigh. He was the crown prince of this kingdom for crying out loud. Why must he chase after someone that he accidentally may have offended, it should be the other way round...

"Oh stuff it." He ran his hand through his silky hair forcing it back and out of his face and glanced out to where he saw her in the distance before catching up to her.