×27×

Rick will be waiting for me tomorrow.

I can't go.

I can't risk it.

I need to end things.

I cannot afford to be caught again; I don't think I will be able to withstand another punishment.

But... What if he spends all day waiting for me? What if he starts worrying and looks for me? What if by doing this, word gets to the Countess that there is someone in search of me thus revealing that I've been sneaking out?

These thoughts plagued Erica's mind. She was anxious and conflicted. She sat with a dilemma, half of her told her to meet with him tomorrow and the other half told her not to. She wanted to agree with the latter, but her mind would not let her. She needed to see him one last time to reassure herself and most importantly her safety.

She also felt like she owed him a proper farewell as she planned on never seeing him again after that. She did not want him to panic and search for her if she were to suddenly disappear. She needed to end things with him for good as much as she did not want to.

She feared that if the Countess found out about him, not only would she be hurt but he would be too. She told herself that she would not only be doing this for her own safety but mainly his. It was better that way.

These thoughts brought a strange ache to her chest. Erica really liked Rick although she had only officially met him twice. She hardly knew a thing about him and yet she had even shared a kiss with the man.

Her cheeks temporarily heated up at the memory. She was still all giddy about it. She felt a strong connection with him, and she could not understand why, it just felt right when she was around him.

Perhaps she was becoming one of those protagonists in an awfully predictable romance novel who chase after a handsome man, falling head over heels after just a few meetings? She hated to admit it but she actually enjoyed those books a little too much no matter how silly and unrealistic they could be. She always wished to be swept off her feet by a rich and handsome gentleman and treated like the most important person in his world. She loved the idea of someone doting on her, someone providing her with unconditional love. She loved the idea of love for she had never been in love.

Georgie arrived much later than usual in the night; in her hands she held Erica's dinner. Erica sat patiently; her hands tucked neatly in her lap with her injured fingers hidden in the folds of her dress. A small smile dawned her features as her friend entered the room. She would always be happy to see her.

Georgie however seemed slightly out of it. She hardly took note of Erica's smile and placed the tray of food down on the table.

"Sorry about being late tonight, I was given an extra chore last minute..."She trailed off reaching for the brush, "Let me do your hair."

Erica gave a small nod, unknowingly tucking her hands further into the folds of her dress. She really hoped Georgie would not see her injuries.

Georgie began her task; she was unusually silent for most of it until she reached the final braid and tied a ribbon in place.

"Um... Erica?" Georgie started, for some reason her voice trembled ever so slightly in the beginning, but Erica did not notice, "Are you planning to sneak out again soon?"

Erica looked up meeting Georgie's eyes through the mirror in front of her. She gave a small nod before shyly breaking the eye contact. Georgie let out a slow yet soft breath.

"Tomorrow perhaps?" She continued to ask.

Once again Erica nodded. Georgie looked down at her feet for a second before pulling out a letter. The envelope had yet to be sealed.

"Then can you try deliver this for me? Take it to this address and give it to the old lady who normally sits outside, if she is not there, slide it under the door." Georgie pointed to the writing on a loose piece of paper that she held with the envelope. Erica nodded.

"It's for Louis, I would send it straight from the estate but unfortunately it costs quite the penny." Georgie rubbed the back of her neck.

Erica tried to give her a reassuring smile, she understood and did not want Georgie to feel ashamed. Georgie noticed this and looked away, she felt even worse now.

"May I borrow a quill? I forgot to add something important." She could not meet Erica's eyes. Erica nodded, she found Georgie's reactions slightly more strange than usual but brushed it off as her feeling awful about asking Erica for help which she was more than willing to give for the girl who had done so much for her. She would help Georgie even if she was not asked to.

When Georgie was doing writing, she sealed the envelope and placed the letter next to the tray she brought earlier with Erica's dinner.

"Please don't forget it," She looked at the letter in slight anxiousness. Erica once again nodded at her friend, giving her a warm smile.

"Thank you." Georgie tried to smile back, "It's getting late. I will see you tomorrow." She bid Erica a goodnight and hurriedly left the room.

Erica let out a breath of relief as soon as Georgie was out of sight. She was relieved that she had not noticed but something was still a little off about her reactions. Erica believed she was thinking to much about nothing. If it was something serious, surely Georgie would have told her.

She gave a sigh and stared at the food on the tray. It was nothing fancy, just some mushroom soup one of the nicer dishes she sometimes gets. Unfortunately, Erica had no appetite and was not going to even try and eat with her sore hands but if she had eaten, she would have immediately noticed that the soup was unusually cold.