×57×

Fear can be described in many different ways. It is an unpleasant emotion often linked to the threat or likely hood of something unwanted happening. Many would associate the word with terror, danger and harm.

In that very moment, fear had completely consumed Erica. It had paralysed her as it tormented its way into her very being.

Seeing the powerful man before her caused her to tremble inside as she tried her hardest to pull her dainty hand away from his strong grasp.

She was terrified.

King Aleric was by no means oblivious to this. His chest ached at the sight of her tear pricked frightened eyes.

"Erica." His words were soft and gentle, "I will not hurt you."

These words were met on deaf ears.

The exchange between the King and the unknown Lady was not ignored. It had caught the attention of many.

Aleric was not the only one who had eyes on him that night. From the moment Erica had entered the grand ball room, many had been fascinated and curious.

The powerful Waisend family who was renowned for keeping to themselves had someone accompanying them. This in itself was already enough of a reason to spark curiosity amongst the prying eyes of the noble society.

Furthermore, that very someone was a very beautiful girl. A unique sort of beauty that made anyone who caught sight of her take a second glance just to be sure that she was real.

Erica had unknowingly managed to turn many heads. Many were enchanted by her presence. This was the opposite of what she had wished.

Fortunately, no one but the King had yet to recognise her. Sibyl and the Countess Alvore in particular stood to far to catch a clear view of the girl's face.

Erica pulled her hand away using more strength this time. Not wanting to hurt her, Aleric reluctantly let go.

That was all it took for Erica to turn sharply on her heels and run.

She wanted to run and hide somewhere far away from everyone. Somewhere safe.

Tears started streaming down from her beautiful eyes.

She never wanted to see him again.

He had hurt her.

She had trusted him, and he had betrayed her that day.

That horrible day...

It hurt.

It hurt so much.

She did not want to ever be reminded of the pain yet here she was reliving it.

She clutched her hands to her chest as she let her feet carry her in an unknown direction and before she knew it, she was met with the large glass doors leading to the terrace overlooking the grand gardens of the Trencent Estate. Her shaky hands clutched around the gold handle as she pushed it open.

Aleric lifted his crown off his head and ran a hand through his hair messing it up. The small movement unintentionally seduced those around him.

His eyes remained locked in on the frightened girl watching her as she ran off, a determined look on his sharp features.

Just as he began to take a step in her direction, the Duchess of Waisend blocked his path.

"Don't." her words were firm.

Aleric slowly tilted his head at her narrowing his eyes at the woman who dare stand in his way.

"Move." It was a command.