×32×

The announcement of the King's death had been tragic to the nation. Losing a sovereign was no easy thing, the kingdom was now in a temporary vulnerable state.

King Alwin's funeral took place three days after his passing with many nobles and high-ranking officials in attendance as to royal protocol.

Prince Aleric had to put on a strong front. He could not show weakness as his father was lowered into the royal tombs for his final resting place.

He was not allowed to shed any tears or show any vulnerable emotions. The kingdom was now depending on him for strength. He needed to be his people's strength. He needed to be their reassurance that the kingdom would not be weakened from the loss of their king.

Louis and his family were right by Prince Aleric's side as strong pillars of support, without them, Aleric knew that he would crumble.

Walter was in route and would arrive in the next three days in time for his dear friend's coronation. When the young Commander got word of the King's death, he wasted no time and began his journey back.

Walter had gone ahead of his squadron due to the impatience and worry he felt. He wanted to be by the Prince's side to support him.

He was worried about the prince, but he was grateful that Louis was with him. Walter knew of the close bond between the cousins, and he knew that he could rely on Louis.

By the time he arrived at the outskirts of the capital city it was dark and both he and his steed were exhausted. Walter had been riding a powerful black stallion that was fit and full of stamina but five days of harsh riding with little rest had taken a toll of them both. The journey should have taken them six days, but Walter had pushed it furthering their fatigue.

When Walter made it to the Palace gates, he did not waste a second before dismounting and rushing into the building. No one made a move to stop him as he entered his friend's Chambers.

There he found Prince Aleric fast asleep at his desk surrounded by documents and papers. Louis was there too reading through a letter as he sat comfortably on a couch.

He looked up when he noticed the arrival of Walter, a gentle smile on his face.

"How is he?" Walter whispered glancing over to Aleric.

"He has just fallen asleep. I don't want to disturb him as he has been so restless these past few days. He has hardly been eating or sleeping." Louis gave a worried look in his cousin's direction.

"Shouldn't we move him to someplace more comfortable?"

"You know as well as I do that as soon as we touch him, he will wake up and who knows when he will sleep again..." Louis frowned.

Walter let out a soft breath knowing that Louis was right. Aleric was a very light sleeper and just looking at the man's face, he could see just how exhausted he was.

Walter was suddenly reminded that he too was exhausted and drained, but he did not want to leave Aleric's side now that he was here, so he sat himself on the couch across from Louis.

Louis understood how he felt and let the Commander be. Soon he saw Walter lean back with folded arms and eyes closed as the man drifted off into dreamland.

Louis went back to reading the letter before him. It was the letter from Georgie.

He found it on his cousin's chaotic desk earlier. He was unaware that he had retrieved it for him, Louis thought it had just been mixed up amongst his stuff by accident which was the truth. Amongst all that had happened in the past few days, Aleric had completely forgotten about the letter.

Georgie's letter was everything he had expected it to be, and it made his heart flutter. As he was nearing the end of the letter, he noticed something strange.

There was an added piece of information to the letter, it was written in a darker ink, and it was not as neat as the rest of the letter had been. It seemed to be written in a hurry as if written in the last moment.

This may be a strange request, but something troubles me greatly. I have recently met a girl whom I have become close with.

She is an illegitimate child of her household and his hidden away from sight. She has been neglected and forgotten due to an unfair punishment.

Unfortunately, her father's wife had recently been reminded of her presence and has blackmailed me into spying on her, something I do not wish to do, and I have a feeling I may be blackmailed further. This may result in me hurting her.

I have a sick younger brother who is being refused medicine unless I do this. It burdens me greatly to being forced to make this choice.

I know that I have no right to ask this of you but please help my brother so that I can help her. I have no power alone and I want to save them both from any more pain.

I hope you can understand, and I will forever be indebted to you if you do this...

Underneath was the address to the location of her brother. Louis fisted his hands.

Who could be so cruel?

He got up as quickly as he could and made his way to the door giving Walter and Aleric one last look reassuring himself that they would be okay.

Louis hoped that not to much time had passed and that he could get to Georgie's brother before anything worse could happen.

He wanted to help her as best he could as her situation greatly troubled him. He was worried for her and the people she cared about.

Unfortunately, Louis had no idea that the girl that Georgie was trying to protect was no longer around. Her brother was fine and receiving treatment as Georgie had already been forced to do something horrible.

To much time had passed. The only thing he could do was take her brother to a safer place where he could not be used against her ever again.

Meanwhile on the Alvore Estate, a messenger arrived carrying the news of the tragic accident which resulted in the sudden passing of the young miss Erica Alvore.