×31×

Erica had been in a deep sleep. She had collapsed into the dark abyss after being completely emotionally drained. It for some reason felt peaceful, it felt calm.

Erica's exhausted body was harshly awoken by a large bump as her head knocked against the roof of a wooden chest that she quickly discovered she was locked in. She was quickly reminded that what she hoped to be just a nightmare was all too real.

She was awkwardly and uncomfortably shoved into the chest with her arms and legs still tightly bound by the same rope as before. The position she was in and unable to move from was agitating her injuries and she was developing a sharp pain on her side from the rough moving of the carriage. It hurt so much.

Erica was locked in a large chest held in place on the back of a carriage, a two-horse coach to be exact and they were on the move. The loud clippity-clop of their fast-moving hooves proved this as they moved through the streets and to the outskirts of the city following a set route.

She tried everything to make a sound, but she was unable to move and unable to speak. All that she could do was let out soft gasps and grunts that were unfortunately drowned out by the thundering hooves.

It was dawn and the sun was just beginning to peak above the horizon. The city was mostly asleep save for a few lost souls, but it would soon wake.

The coachman needed to pick up the pace. He had been instructed to leave the city as quickly as possible as to not draw attention.

The coach was plain and simple, it was common as per the Countess's instructions so it would be unnoticeable if it were to be seen galloping down the streets however it would still be better not to be seen and called over.

They eventually slowed down as they reached the outskirts and made their way out of the city. They continued on for a long time so long that Erica lost track, they continued to move until the roads changed from smooth to rocky and uneven.

The sky changed colour now clouded in shades of grey, darkening quickly above them as a storm began to brew. The wind began to howl and seep into the chest through the small cracks. The temperature was rapidly dropping.

Erica who had been afraid and in pain had noticed the sharp change in not only the weather but the incline. They were heading up and into the mountains along the mountain pass. Something very dangerous to do in weather like this.

Although the Countess had informed her that she would be heading to a finishing school as part of her punishment, something did not feel right.

If this were the case, there were better routes to take since she knew the only current acceptable school was in the Port Town of Canterbre. A four-day journey at best.

The mountainous route was although shorter, it was harsher and more dangerous. It would add on an extra day or two to travel.

It bad weather such as this, it was safer to turn around or at least stop and wait out the storm, but the coachman did no such thing. Instead, he urged his tired horses on.

The man was getting anxious as the lighting began to worsen as it neared but he had to do this. He had a family at home depending on him.

He by no means came from a rich family, in fact his family was well below the poverty line. They often could not afford to make ends meet.

The coachman had believed he had struck a deal when he was approached and offered a large sum of money to complete a job. He knew nothing of what the job truly was only that he had to take a carriage up into the mountains and run it over a cliff in such a way that if there were passengers, there would be no survivors and make it seem like an accident.

He had no idea why this needed to be done but chose not to ask any questions. Neither the carriage nor horses were his. He was only given strict instructions by an unknown man when he arrived.

All of it was strange but he held his tongue knowing better than to ask any questions. He had a feeling of he did, it would cost him his life.

As the hard rain began to fall, lightning struck the overhead peek spooking the horses and blocking the path. The coachman launched himself off the carriage as the horses took off at a thunderous speed.

The heavy down pour was too blinding for the startled horses to see properly. One took off to the side leading the other in panic as it lost its footing when the ground disappeared beneath its feet.

The whole carriage tumbled over. The horses were calling in panic as the one tried everything to prevent itself from falling to death. It was unable to without the support of his pair and the carriage's weight inevitably pulled it down the steep cliff.

Erica was trapped the entire time. She was completely helpless. The fear of dying had completely consumed her as the carriage began to fall.

She was regretting everything, she wished she had never lived her life rotting away as she did. She wished she had never let her guard down and trusted anyone. She wished she had run away when she had the chance.

She was so flipping pitiful and pathetic.

This was how she was going to die...

Maybe, just maybe it was better this way. She was no use to this cruel world, and no one would miss her. They probably wouldn't even know she was gone.

Yes, this way, she would never be hurt again and would never upset anyone again. So, she tightly shut her eyes and braced for impact no longer afraid.

The whole ordeal had not gone exactly to how the coachman had planned. He had planned for the carriage to go over the edge a little further on but in a way, this worked out better for him.

It was unfortunate that the horses had been involved, poor innocent creatures however this made the accident seen more believable for it was an accident this time.

The coachman walked to the edge where he last saw the carriage go down and peered over. He could hardly see anything due to the rain, but he could faintly make out a dead horse and a wheel of the coach.

Before the man could investigate further, another bolt of lightning struck. He needed to get out of here and find shelter quickly.

He feared the storm would only get worse from here...