×23×

Erica could hardly recall meeting up with Louis again. She could hardly recall what he said when he handed her his reply to Georgie's letter and a small parcel for her to give Georgie.

She could not even recall how she got back. Her mind was a blur solely focused on the kiss and everything else about Rick. He had asked her to meet up with him again in two days. She had agreed without even giving a single thought to it.

Since her mind was so preoccupied with thoughts, she failed to notice the anxious Georgie waiting patiently for her in her room until the girl cleared her throat at her absent-minded friend startling her.

"And?" She excitedly asked, waiting for Erica to reveal the reply.

Georgie was exhausted from the full day's work, all she wanted to do was have her head hit her soft pillow and fall into a deep slumber but her anxiousness waiting for the reply would not let her.

When Erica handed her the letter and small parcel, Georgie smiled and got all giddy in excitement. She would have read it right then and there, but she stopped herself when she saw the strange look on her friend's features.

Georgie's curiosity once again got the better of her. She helped Erica get ready for bed, braiding her hair in silence waiting patiently for the girl to reveal any of her secrets. Unfortunately, Erica did not and instead had an adorable expression on her face. It took a while, but Georgie could read it clearly now.

"So, who is he?" Georgie giggled.

Erica's face warmed drastically so much so that her blush reached the tip of her ears. She turned around eyes wide in shock.

"I knew I was right." Georgie smiled smugly wanting to pat herself on the back.

Erica looked down cursing herself for reacting like she did.

"I'm just teasing you. I can see your thoughts are jumbled so I will leave you alone for now, but I expect a full report tomorrow." Georgie winked at her through the mirror.

Erica who was still blushing barely nodded and twiddled her thumbs on her lap. When Georgie finished off the last part of the braid, she tucked it in place and took the cleared dinner plate from Erica's room bidding her a goodnight.

Erica moved to her bed and sat on the edge of it. She had a smile on her lips. She was about to blow out the last candle when she interrupted by a knock.

One simple knock.

Her heart poured. She hoped it was just Georgie who had forgotten something. Slowly she got up, the burning candle in hand, and made her way to the door.

As she was about to open it, she was nearly pushed back when it was roughly swung open.

She was obviously startled and more so when in walked two guards, scowls plastered on their faces as they glared at her.

Her heart was pounding in her ears, each beat louder than the last. She was frightened. Her mind was now clouded in panic. Her worst fears were coming true.

One of the guards stepped forward and harshly grabbed the frightened girl by her arm. The action was rough enough to leave bruising.

"The Countess requires your presence." The other spoke before grabbing her other arm and forcefully pulling her out of the room.

The Countess had found out that I had been sneaking out of the estate. Was all she could conclude. She was terrified beyond all measures.

Her heart sank to the bottom of her stomach. She wanted to throw up with every step they took, Erica grew more and more terrified struggling not to let the fear consume her entire being as a whole.

They stopped before a room. A large oak door blocked their path. One of the guards raised his fist to knock. Erica wished with all his might that no one was behind them.

"Come in." The order was given under a cold tone. It sent shivers of fear down her spine.

The door was pushed open, and Erica was shoved inside. She fell to her knees in a quiet thump. She was shaking in fear. She was too afraid to lift her head to meet the cold eyes of the Countess.

"My oh my, whatever am I going to do with you?" The Countess got up from her chair moving to the front of the wooden desk, her shoes clicking on the hardwood floor with each step. The desk creaked as she sat on the edge, she lifted her hand to give a short indication to the guards behind Erica to close the door.

Erica grew more scared as the chances of any attempt of her escape grew less and less.

"You know, I distinctively remember the terms of your punishment." The Countess picked at her nails, "One particular part especially," she momentarily stopped and glared at the girl, "You are to remain unseen and unnoticed until your punishment is over."

Erica's arms shook in fear as she still sat on the ground. She was to afraid to even get up. The Countess wickedly smiled at this.

"Did I say your punishment was over?"

Erica did not respond by any means, if anything she just shook more.

"Answer me girl!" The Countess sharply raised her tone in irritation. This caused Erica to flinch and then reluctantly shake her head.

The Countess let out an unimpressed huff, her husband's illegitimate child was truly pathetic. Thank goodness she was able to keep her hidden from society, she truly was an embarrassment and would most likely butcher the family name.

"If you knew your punishment was not over, then why?" The Countess spat.

Erica believed her pervious thoughts to be correct, the Countess was definitely referring to the fact that she had been sneaking out. It was never specified in her punishment, but she knew the Countess would find wrong in those actions.

Erica promised herself one thing, no matter what the Countess did to her, she would not sell out Georgie as her accomplice. She did not want her dear friend or anyone else to be brought into this mess. She was the only one at fault here and whatever punishment was dished out would be her own and she would get through it alone. No one else deserved to be hurt.

The Countess got up and bent down to face Erica, her long sharp nails roughly dug into Erica's chin as she forced the girl to look at her. She found great satisfaction when she saw the fear dancing in the terrified girl's eyes.

"Why was your name tainting my beautiful son's tongue? Why did Walter come all this way to ask about you tonight?"