×66×

Erica shifted slightly as her mind slowly drifted to consciousness. She could feel a light weight on her arm and a warm grasp on her hand. As she opened her eyes, she tried to pull her hand away but whatever it was, would not let go.

Her eyes slowly moved to the reason behind this and she almost gasped when she saw him. King Aleric had his head resting beside her on the bed and had strung his hand in amongst her fingers. He had pulled up a chair next to the bed and had obviously fallen asleep.

"Try not to wake him if you don't mind." A gentle voice requested from across the room, "He has not slept a wink since he brought you in."

Her eyes shot to the figure standing at the door, his arms folded across his chest as he leant against the door frame. A warm smile dancing his lips. Upon recognising him, she nearly panicked.

"Shh it's okay. I mean no harm. I'm actually here to apologise. I owe you a big one." Louis looked down guiltily, "If I had known it was you, I would never have dared to even think about ordering your arrest. I was just so blinded with rage... And fear..."

Louis met her eyes. Erica could see the sincerity of his words projected through his expression.

"Aleric and I are very close, so I let my emotions get the better of me when I saw he was hurt..." Louis spoke as he replayed the memory in his mind.

"Thank you." Erica's words were soft and gentle, but they had enough impact to catch Louis off guard.

"You are thanking me?" His eyes were widened.

"You are a good person." She gave a small smile.

There was a brief silence as Louis let her words sink in. He did not believe that he deserved such kindness and gratitude from someone that he had ordered the arrest of.

Louis could not help but smile. The girl that his silly cousin was so madly infatuated with was truly a beautiful soul. He now understood why Aleric went to such lengths to bring her back to his side.

"You must know that all charges against you have been dropped however an investigation is currently underway. We believe that Aleric had consumed a spiked beverage of some sort moments before he met you. All the servants that served during the event are currently undergoing questioning."

Erica's eyes widened. The King's sudden allergic reaction had been intentional. She glanced down at the gorgeous man beside her.

Louis could not help but smile at her reaction, "I trust that you will not hurt him but... But if you really must, you will do so gently. I hope that will not be the case as I dare say, I think you will make a great Queen." He winked.

Erica shot her gaze away from the sleeping man beside her, her cheeks reddened at Louis's bold words. She knew exactly what he meant. It was something that she did not want to accept but she knew, she definitely had feelings for the man even though he did hurt her.

How Aleric felt however, was an entirely different question. She did not know if he even held a fraction of the feeling towards her. She was completely oblivious to it.

She further did not believe that she was worthy of standing by his side, that is if he even wanted her to. He was a King after all, and she was just a pathetic abandoned girl who could not even stand up for herself.

Louis let out a soft chuckle at her red cheeks and was about to leave her to her thoughts when he remembered something, "Oh and, there is someone who would really like to see you."

Erica glanced up at the man as he gave her one last smile before leaving the room. She wondered who he was referring to. Was it Walter?

Her question was soon answered when the door opened again. A very familiar figure cautiously walked in as if afraid to startle her.

At the sight of Georgie, Erica froze. She was not ready to face her. The pain was too strong. Georgie's betrayal had cut her deep and the wound still felt fresh.

"I... I..." Georgie took a deep breath and took one step into the lavish room, "I am so glad that you are okay..."

Georgie knew that she was probably the last person in the entire kingdom that Erica wanted to see but she needed to do this even if Erica never forgave her.

"Listen Erica," She took a step forward again but stopped when she saw Erica flinch, "I know I do not deserve any of your forgiveness or kindness, but you must know it was never my intention to hurt you."

A lone tear fell from Georgie's eye. She was quick to wipe it with the sleeve of her dress.

"That horrid woman used my brother's illness against me. I was forced to choose between his life or yours..." Another tear fell as her words began to crack, "I did not know what she would do to you, but I prayed that you would be okay."

Erica searched her face carefully looking for any sign that she may be lying but there was none. Georgie's expression was pure. She could see the guilt devouring her very being. It was eating her from the inside out.

"I read the report of the accident. I read the words the words that claimed your death. I never wanted anything like that to happen. I tried to get help to reach you and save you from the Countess but... But it was too late."

Georgie's eyes had completely watered up and she now had tears streaming down her face, "I know that I do not deserve your forgiveness but I'm so sorry."

"Georgie." Erica began after a moment, "Is your brother okay?"

Georgie slowly nodded trying desperately to wipe her tears before freezing. Her bloodshot eyes shot up to Erica in shock.

"Your voice?!" She exclaimed, "You can talk!"

She felt so much joy for Erica in that moment, "How?"

"It's a long story for another time." Erica gave a gentle yet sad smile.

A groan came from the man beside her as he began to stir from the loudness of Georgie's voice. Slowly King Aleric's eyes opened, and they immediately locked in on the startled Erica as he raised his head.

Georgie panicked from not noticing the King beside her friend until the gorgeous man woke. "I... I will speak with you again soon."

Georgie shot out the room faster than the speed of lightning. Truth be told, she was slightly scared of Aleric and even more so now due to the fact that she had woken him.

Erica wanted to stop her, but she was not fast enough to catch her. Erica was even more scared than Georgie and was not ready to face the King.

Nervously she slowly turned her head away from the door and into the piercing eyes of the most powerful man in the kingdom, King Aleric.