×40×

On the way back from the Waisend estate, Erica had a slight bounce in her step while she unknowingly hummed a soft melodious tune.

It was very pleasant and warm. Her voice truly was beautiful even when she hummed.

She was completely lost in thought; her mind was fixed on the fact that she could sing again. Something that she had forgotten how much she truly loved.

Singing brought her joy. She loved how it let her express herself when words of simple speech could not. Her emotions could run freely with her voice with no restraints holding her down.

It was magnificent.

Ron sent a glance towards Erica, a gentle smile on his face. He felt content watching her, seeing her happiness.

Ron would never admit it but the young girl had grown on him. He was beginning to see her as more of a daughter than as a patient.

Ron enjoyed having Erica around, but it brought him great sadness whenever he thought about the state that she had arrived in. She was broken physically and emotionally.

She never mentioned anything about her life nor where she came from. Nothing was ever mentioned on her injuries, both the physical and mental ones.

She was an absolute mystery.

Ron respected her privacy, as much as he was curious, he would not pry. If she wanted to tell him, she would do so when she was ready. For the time being, he would do his utmost best to help her.

Seeing her humming softly in clear happiness made him proud. She had come a long way and he hoped she would never experience any pain ever again.

Ron could not understand why someone would be so cruel as to take her voice from her but after hearing her sing for the first time, he suddenly could.

Ron had been at the Duchess's side when a beautiful, yet faint melody drifted through the walls. He immediately knew that it was Erica's voice.

The Duke and the two servants present temporarily stiffened at the sound before once again solely focusing on the unconscious Duchess.

The Duchess who had her eyebrows roughly creased together due to the pain slowly relaxed them. Her breathing slowed and became calm. It was all a result of the gentle yet calming melody.

Even though the Duchess had lost consciousness, the soft tune had entered her ears and calmed her subconscious, in fact it calmed her very being. It brought comfort to the pain. It was remarkable.

The Duke of Waisend was by no means oblivious to this clear change in his beloved's state for he was after all watching her so closely.

"Who is singing?" He asked one of the servants present not once taking his eyes off his Duchess.

"I am afraid I do not recognise the voice your grace." The servant bowed her head in response.

Before the Duke could say anything else, Ron stood up.

"Your grace, the Duchess's condition is stable. I have done all I could however I believe she may only wake within the next day or so. Please let her rest well once she does."

"I do not know what we would do without you Ron. Please let me at least offer you payment this time." The Duke gave a relieved yet grateful smile.

"My apologies your grace, but you should know this by now, I will not accept." Ron responded while packing his things.

"Unacceptable." The Duke grumbled.

"You have already provided me with a home and continuous support towards my practice. If anything, I am indebted to your family so this is the least I could do."