×54×

Erica stood before a large mirror taking in her reflection.

She had chosen the most simple dress amongst the few that the Duchess had presented her. It was beautifully designed with intricate details.

She donned a simple matching necklace around her neck that the Duchess was insistent she wear. On her wrist lay her bracelet that once was her mother's necklace fastened tightly and in place.

Erica's hair had been combed beautifully in place in such a way that it almost looked natural. This accentuated her features.

Erica was gorgeous.

The Duchess admired her work on the shy girl feeling proud. She knew that Erica did not want to stand out but no matter what she did, the girl shone so beautifully that the Duchess just accepted it and put in her best effort.

The Duchess herself was dressed in a light purple, showcasing her high status through the rare colour. She too looked gorgeous as she smiled back at Erica through the mirror

"We best be on our way now dear."

Erica nodded and began following the Duchess out the room.

"Mother!" An excited voice screeched as it came tumbling down the halls.

"Slow down Edith before you fall!" The Duchess scolded but her smile remained.

Edith looked adorable. Her hair was done up into a curly bun and she had the cutest dress.

"When can we go?" Edith wined hugging her mother's side.

"We will depart the moment I locate your dearest father and Cassius." The Duchess tucked some of her loose hair behind her ears.

"Father is outside with Cassius already." Edith gave a toothy smile.

"Well then what are we waiting for." the Duchess laughed.

Edith pulled away from her and gently clutched onto her hand.

"Erica, are you all good to go?" The Duchess glanced back at the shy girl who merely nodded in response.

Truth be told once the Duchess uncovered the fact that the Alvore's were the ones that had hurt Erica, she was ready to destroy everything brick and stone that the foundations of that family lay on. The Duchess was fuming.

However she did not want to scare Erica so she tried her hardest to remain calm and be supportive to the fragile girl.

The Duchess knew what needed to be done. She would confront the Count Alvore and expose the truth in front of everyone at the ball tonight.

She knew that the man would probably lie to save his noble reputation so she needed proof, that is why she would bring Erica with her.

The Duchess knew that Erica was afraid, her heart went out to the girl. She knew that it was not right to force Erica to confront the Alvore's but she also knew that she could not sit around and let them get away with it.

She felt horrible but she knew that under the Waisend protection, the Alvores would not be able to touch her. Erica would be safe.

"You look beautiful my love." The Duke smiled as he wrapped his arms around his Duchess pulling her in for a kiss.

Cassius stood next to his father all dressed up and adorable. Upon noticing the kiss that his parents exchanged, Edith ran up to him and tried to cover his eyes.

"Don't look Cassius, Father is eating Mother's face again." Edith grumbled.

The Duke and Duchess parted laughing at their two children.

Erica stood back, a mere spectator to the scene. The Waisends were truly a happy family. There was always so much love and laughter amongst them. This was something that Erica was very envious of.

"Come along you two, time to get into the carriages." The Duchess smiled.

Two carriages stood waiting both pulled by four powerful horses each. The Waisend crest engraved on the sides.

"Erica you are to ride with me," The Duchess smiled ignoring the unhappy look her husband gave as he was unhappy to part from her.

"What about me?" Edith asked with an excited giggle.

"You and Cassius are to travel with your father." The Duchess smiled and climbed into the carriage.

Erica sat across from her, she was as pale as a ghost. The Duchess have a sad smile and reached for her hands as the carriage began to move.

"It's okay, they will not be able to do a thing to you. You are under the Waisend protection, only a fool would dare to stand against us."

Erica gave a grateful smile, still nervous and afraid. Every thump of the horses hooves caused her heart to beast louder in her ears.

She knew this was a bad idea.

She knew she should run away while she still could.

However conscience would not let her. She knew that she could not let the Waisends down. They had been so generous and kind to her. This was the least she could do for them.

The soft melodious tunes could be heard as they neared the Trencent estate. There was laughter and chatter as the many guests conversed amongst themselves.

Erica wanted to throw up.

The carriage pulled to a halt at the front entrance, a footman opening the door. The Duchess stepped out first before turning back to the now frozen Erica.

She held out her hand, a reassuring smile on her lips.

"Everything will be alright. I will not let them hurt you, I promise."

Erica hesitantly took the Duchess's outstretched hand and took a step out the carriage.

Her stomach felt like it was sitting in her throat. She could not bare the feeling.

The Duchess gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. The warmth she admitted from her gloves gave comfort to Erica.

Erica took a deep breath and stepped forward.

The Trencent Manor was exquisite. It was beautifully lit up and decorated to perfection. The music was now louder and Erica's nose caught the divine scent of the delicious food that was being served.

Everything will be okay.

She tried to reassure herself as she took another step.

The Duke and his two children had arrived just after and were now right next the Duchess and Erica as they made their way up the stairs.

Erica momentarily stopped on the final step letting go of the Duchess's hand. She was frozen.

Her legs would not move.

The Duchess turned back. She was worried.

Erica tried to smile and took another breath before taken a step in through the doors into the beautiful ball room.

Her gut told her something big was set to happen. Whether it would be good or bad, she prayed she would survive.

This would be an unforgettable night.