Chapter 20

Levi's POV

When I saw her in its filthy hands, an unpleasant memory hit me. No. Not again. Not her too.

I cried out in anguish and charged at the titan. I aimed the hook at the tree in front of it and lifted myself up. I circled around its body and slashed off its nape before it could devour Y/N. I caught her in my arms just as the titan was about to fall and swung all the way up to the tree.

Suddenly, I heard loud footsteps and realized there were more titans making their way towards us. I readied my gear and as soon as they reached us, I took them down. But I had used too much gas. The second I finished my last kill the tank was empty. Shit.

Y/N's POV

Tiny droplets woke me up from what seemed like an endless sleep. The sun was setting and there was a slight drizzle. I looked around and realized that I was atop a tall tree. My forehead was draped with a piece of cloth, while my head rested on another. My whole body was wrapped in what looked like the Survey Corps' cloak.

When I tried to move my legs, it hurt so bad that I wailed loudly in pain.

"Y/N?", I heard Levi's voice.

"Levi?", I could barely hear myself.

In an instant his face was above me and even if for a few seconds, the pain I felt was replaced with relief.

He looked worried. I smiled at him weakly and lifted my hand to touch his cheek.

"I thought I would never see you again.", I whispered.

"Tch. That's my line idiot."

He squeezed my hand and gave it a soft kiss. "I thought I lost you."

"I promised I won't leave you didn't I?"

He smiled but soon his expression returned to a frown. "Don't talk too much. I tied up the wound in your stomach, but you lost a lot of blood."

I noticed his torn uniform.

I started to feel dizzy again. "Why are we still here?", I managed to ask.

Levi looked anxious. "I ran out of gas, and we were surrounded by titans."

I gasped. The thought of titans made me shudder. Levi, who understood my reaction tried to calm me down. He brushed his fingers against my cheek and spoke softly, "It's okay. I was able to kill them first. They're gone. I'll get us back, Y/N."

"How?"

"Titans are not active at night. We'll leave on my horse then."

"But your gear..."

"I won't need it.", he assured me.

I felt a little better. Even though the plan was still risky, I had Levi with me. I wasn't afraid.

We fell silent for the new few minutes and then I spoke quietly, "You're always saving me. I keep getting myself in trouble, but you save me, every time. What will I do it without you Levi?"

"Tch. You saved me long before I saved you, Y/N. I thought I had lost everything before I met you. You saved me from drowning. I always knew how to survive, but you taught me how to live. I need you more than you need me."

Tears started to stream down my face.

"Levi...", I looked at him with uncertainty.

"No. You're gonna make it. I'm gonna get us out of here. Try to get some sleep for now. I'll wake you up when we're ready to leave."

He kissed my forehead. I slowly nodded my head and drifted off to sleep.

Levi's POV

I waited for the night to fall as I sat next to a sleeping Y/N. It was so quiet that I could hear her breath. It calmed me down.

Soon the moon came out and I realized it was time to go. I slowly crept up to Y/N to wake her up without startling her. But when I touched her cheek, it was burning hot. She's caught a fever and her face is pale. I must get her back as soon as possible.

"Y/N", I called.

She struggled to open her eyes. "It's time to go."

She nodded her head. I realized that she was too weak to stand, let alone walk. I'm gonna have to carry her.

I helped her sit up. Then I bent down so my back was facing her. She slowly climbed onto me. "Hold on tight.", I said.

I slowly made my way down, steadying my feet on each branch. Once we were on the ground, I carefully made her sit on the horse. She winced in pain when I placed her legs on each side. She looked like she was gonna pass out.

I climbed behind her, so she could rest her back against my chest. I placed both of our hands on the reins and cued the horse forward.

As we made out of the forest and into the clearing, the moon was shining even more brightly. On any other day, I would have paused to look at it but at that moment getting Y/N back safely was my priority.

I noticed that her breathing had slowed down. I panicked. "Oi, Y/N. You have to stay awake. We'll be there soon."

I figured she had passed out for a few seconds because as soon as I called out to her, she blabbered something and her breathing picked up. Sigh. Almost there.

The events that took place after we reached headquarters were a blur- Anna, Thomas and the nurses taking Y/N to the infirmary on a stretcher, Erwin running alongside her, Hange talking to me animatedly, looking concerned.

I felt like I needed to sit down but I was too worried about Y/N. She did not look so good and every negative thought that I had been pushing away until then came rushing back to me.

"Levi!", Hange shook my shoulders, waking me from my thoughts.

They looked at me softly and said, "You look really tired. Go get changed."

I looked at my clothes. I was filthy. But I couldn't be bothered.

Hange, who understood what I was thinking, continued to say, "You've done everything you could Levi. The outcome is not going to change no matter what you do now. So go take a shower and rest up for a while."

I didn't bulge. They sighed. "You don't want to be covered in filth when she wakes up."

I looked at them and they smiled. "Now c'mon! Go!", Hange pushed my shoulders and my feet started to move. I slowly made my way to my room feeling uneasy, exhausted and anxious, all at the same time. You promised me.