Chapter 23

It didn't take long for Levi to catch Stefan. I was waiting at the same spot where he had left me when he arrived with Stefan, the latter's hands tied with what I guessed was Levi's belt.

As they came nearer, I started to feel angry. Stefan's face reminded me of all the pain I had been put through. He kept looking at his feet, avoiding my eyes.

"Let's go.", Levi directed me to the carriage.

When we boarded it, Levi pushed Stefan to the floor and placed his foot on his chest with force. Stefan yelled in pain.

"Save your cries for later you pig. You won't be able to walk when I'm through with you.", Levi sneered.

I could sense the anger in his tone and if I was being honest, it scared me a little. None of us spoke till we reached headquarters.

When we reached, Levi dragged Stefan straight to Erwin's room. He walked really fast. I tried to keep up but my crutches slowed me down.

When I entered the room I saw that Stefan was sitting on the floor with his back against the wall. Levi and Erwin were standing it front of him, staring at him angrily. Anyone would have been intimated by the sight and needless to say, Stefan was too.

"Start explaining yourself, soldier.", Erwin ordered.

Stefan didn't speak. He kept his eyes fixed on the floor.

"Tch. He won't talk like this. He needs to be disciplined.", Levi said, getting impatient.

"Wait, Levi.", Erwin stopped him.

Choosing his next words carefully, he said to Stefan, "Your sister is keeping well I suppose. It's surprising how after not getting any treatment, she's suddenly at the best hospital in Sina! They surely don't pay us that well now, do they Stefan?"

Sister? What is Erwin talking about?

But at the mention of his sister, Stefan immediately looked up at Erwin. His expression was a mix of anger and fear.

"I've done my share of investigation. I know your sister has a serious ailment and that you tried to harm Y/N because someone bribed you. I want to know who and why."

When he didn't respond Erwin warned him, "You're not the only one who's willing to get blood on their hands to protect their sister."

I had never heard Erwin speak in that tone with anyone. I could expect it from Levi, but never him. This was not commander Erwin Smith. In that moment, he was just my older brother.

When he was again met with silence, Erwin ordered, "Levi."

As if he had been waiting, Levi kicked Stefan on the stomach. He kicked again and again till he spurted out blood. Erwin showed his hand signaling him to stop.

"We know the hospital she's in. If you don't speak up now, it's not just your life that you're putting in danger.", Erwin threatened again.

"No!", Stefan yelled.

"Tch. So you do have a mouth.", Levi gibed.

"How about we bring her here? You can spend the few days she has left together in the cell." Erwin said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"No, please.", Stefan whispered.

"Who bribed you?", Erwin raised his voice.

"H-Hans Biron."

My eyes popped out of my socket and I just looked at Stefan in disbelief.

"Tch. That bastard. He went too far this time, Erwin.", Levi was fuming.