Chapter 5 - Promises

Chapter Notes:

Recap: Xiao Tian once again came to pay Bai Feng a 'visit'. Will the cedar-haired man be able to escape for the third time? Or will the assassin succeed this time?

Action-heavy scenes ahead! Grab your popcorns

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Bai Feng narrowed his gaze as he eyed the group of assassins.

Xiao Tian didn't even spare a glance at his "colleagues" before he started attacking. Slashing their throats, abdomens, and limbs — this was not a fight, it was a one-sided massacre. The last of the young assassins was running away, attempting to report Xiao Tian's betrayal.

But he too was quickly assassinated.

Bai Feng just stood there with a blank expression, when they once again heard a crow's caw in the distance.

"Your signal to leave?" asked the cedar-haired man.

Xiao Tian eyed the bird and threw his dagger into the sky, precisely hitting the crow causing it to quickly plummet down onto the ground. The assassin then retrieved his dagger and wiped off the crow's blood from his blade.

"I won't let them disturb our fun this time.." Xiao Tian declared as they both took their stances.

Let's begin.

From Bai Feng's last experience fighting the assassin, he knew that close combat was the short-haired man's forte. So the golden-eyed beauty immediately put some distance between him and Xiao Tian.

"Ah.. Why are you so far away today? I enjoyed our intimate spar last time~" teased the assassin as he rushed forward to close their distance. However, Bai Feng quickly leaped onto the rooftops and threw his sword in Xiao Tian's direction.

"Woah woah! You're throwing a sword around, how scary!" the masked assassin yelped as he dodged the blade and watched it stab into the ground next to him.

"Come down and get it~" Xiao Tian was about to grab the hilt of the sword, when the blade quickly flew back to Bai Feng, slashing the assassin's left palm in the process.

The stoic man just looked at the assassin coldly.

Interesting... Xiao Tian thought. Feeling amused, he leaped onto the rooftop and dashed towards Bai Feng. The rapid clashing of their weapons could be heard as the golden-eyed beauty parried Xiao Tian's attacks. Unfortunately, the assassin had successfully landed a few cuts on the cedar-haired man's arms. Slashing through the robes, clean bandages could be seen.

"The cut last time hasn't healed?" asked the assassin, noticing the bandages wrapped around Bai Feng's arm.

"Why do you care?" the golden-eyed man snarled as he lunged forward, swinging his sword in quick succession.

Xiao Tian dodged and deflected Bai Feng's attacks flawlessly, evading as agile as a cat would without compromising the strength of his parries.

The cedar-haired man clicked his tongue as he threw a talisman at Xiao Tian, sealing his movements. But a calm, yet authoritative voice rang in Bai Feng's head,

"Your powers should not bring harm to people," and immediately the seal on the talisman weakened due to Bai Feng's hesitation.

The assassin was caught by surprise but his body quickly glowed jade green and broke the talisman's seal.