Chapter 32 - Memory

Chapter Notes:

Recap: The pair was able to escape the beast cave, albeit with quite serious injuries. But Xiao Tian who was still in his panther mode, never realized the one he was carrying to safety was his own teammate. So when he saw a moving person, the half-panther immediately attacked Bai Feng. Xiao Tian almost bit the informant's neck when he was stopped by a tough scabbard, but even that broke under the immense strength of the panther's jaw. Luckily the panther seemed to regain his consciousness after awhile, sparing the golden-eyed beauty's life.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

After clinging on Bai Feng in silence for a while, the assassin finally came back to his senses.

"Your heart is beating like crazy, are you nervous Xiao Bai?" teased Xiao Tian who immediately got pushed away by the informant.

"Now that you're conscious, let me see your wounds.." Bai Feng started.

"Oh right.. Here, your mask.." the golden-eyed beauty calmly returned the assassin's mask, seemingly avoiding eye contact with the assassin before taking off Xiao Tian's top.

"How hasty~ We can take our time Xiao Bai~ doesn't seem like we're getting out of here any time soon anyway." Xiao Tian made a cheeky remark despite his serious gaze on the fallen boulders.

"Don't move.. I might not have enough ointment to treat you if I spill any.. Hold on, this will sting" the cedar-haired man warned before applying crushed herbs onto the long gash on the short-haired assassin's back. Xiao Tian winced slightly but remained still as much as possible. Then Bai Feng took off his robe and tore strips of cloth with his sword before tying them around the assassin's wound like a bandage.

"You're destroying such a beautiful robe.." the jade-eyed assassin muttered but Bai Feng wasn't paying attention as he moved to treat the smaller cuts on Xiao Tian's arms.

"Xiao Bai, they're not serious, no need to bother." said the assassin.

"It'll be troublesome if your wounds fester. Have patience, I'm almost done." the informant replied.

That one sentence somehow reminded Xiao Tian of when he was still a newbie in the organization.

The young assassin was tasked to kill a group of mercenaries along with their patron who were fleeing into the mountains. The mission was successful. However, due to his lack of experience, young Xiao Tian was badly wounded. Knowing that the woods isn't the best place to stay when vulnerable, the jade-eyed boy limped towards what seemed to be a long flight of stairs.

Blood continued to trickle down his open wounds and as his vision started to blur, so he decided to sit down under one of the trees by the side of the path leading up the mountain. He didn't realize how much time had passed, but the sun was setting when he finally opened his eyes. Though he was surprised to see a pair of stunning golden eyes.

"Are you okay?" asked an equally young boy holding a basket of herbs and vegetables.

Xiao Tian, being trained not to reveal any information, simply stared at the stranger.

"You're hurt.. What happened?" asked the long-haired boy with concern in his eyes but the young assassin just looked away. After pondering on what to do the golden-eyed boy spoke up once more.

"I'll take you to my Master's place, he should be able to help you. It's not too far from here, can you walk?"

Xiao Tian stood up but immediately toppled. Fortunately, the cedar-haired boy caught the young assassin, though at the cost of him dropping his basket.