Chapter 12 - My past

Chapter Notes:

Recap: The pair enjoyed even more heartwarming activities in the festivals, from designing a lantern to solving lantern riddles.

Everything seems to be going well tonight for Xiao Tian and Bai Feng, almost too well.

TW: this chapter contains references to self-harming behavior which may upset some readers. Please proceed with caution.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Heeding the kind vendor's words, the pair made their way to the festival's main event.

On a small stage, a man was explaining the tradition of this festival. They will be matching bachelors and bachelorettes, then perform a special ritual to bless the couples.

No wonder there were so many couples at this festival

"I think you invited the wrong person for this festival.." the cedar-haired beauty turned to Xiao Tian, but the assassin never gave a single response to his words.

Instead, the assassin just pulled Bai Feng closer to him, making space between the informant and other people. Throughout the night, Xiao Tian noticed how Bai Feng didn't seem comfortable in big crowds, so at least giving him some space might help.

Bai Feng was about to protest about the assassin's intimate gesture when suddenly they lit a huge bonfire, signaling the start of the event.

"T-That was sudden.." the ivory robe-cladded man flinched slightly,

Xiao Tian's eyes immediately widened at the sight. The assassin's breathing hitched and he started to cold sweat. However, the masked assassin didn't want to alert Bai Feng, so he tried his best to not show his discomfort and told his long-haired companion that he needed to walk away for a bit.

Bai Feng nodded and waited for Xiao Tian. With the masked assassin gone, the golden-eyed man didn't know what to do with himself in the event. The informant just looked around as couples started to dance slowly around the bonfire, hoping that the assassin would return soon.

As Xiao Tian tried to pull a certain distance from festival, his erratic heartbeat still wouldn't calm down and his vision kept swimming, making him want to throw up.

I guess it's still buried deep within me.. I see.. Even after all these years, you're still not letting me go— was the last thought the assassin had before his consciousness faded away.

After a while, Bai Feng thought it was weird for Xiao Tian to be away for so long. I thought he went to get some snacks or something.. Did he get lost? Thought the informant as he went to look around for the masked assassin, pushing through the crowds once more.

After running all around the festival and unable to spot the masked man, he finally found Xiao Tian fainted in a dark alleyway right outside the area. Bai Feng immediately dropped the lantern he was holding and rushed to the assassin's side, calling out his name trying to wake him up.

"HeiLi, it's Bai Feng, can you hear me?" worry apparent in those honey-colored obs.

Did he get attacked? the informant proceeded to cradle the unconscious Xiao Tian protectively and looked around. Luckily there were no signs of anyone near them.