Chapter 13 - Jade Pendant

Chapter Notes:

Recap: The informant didn't expect to find the assassin in such a vulnerable state. Although Bai Feng feels like he is slowly getting to know the mysterious man, what happened last night brought even more questions into his mind.

P.S. The main story of the Fortuitous Jade starts NOW <3

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Weeks passed after the festival, and Xiao Tian was occupied with mission after mission. This time, the assassin was tasked to intercept an informant from delivering crucial trade documents for an artifact.

Xiao Tian was hesitant to bring Bai Feng along on the mission this time since their target was an informant just like him. The assassin was worried that Bai Feng would hesitate, but the long-haired man seemed unbothered by this fact.

While discussing their strategies, Xiao Tian noticed that Bai Feng had been stealing glances at him.

"Your pendant.." Bai Feng mentioned out of the blue.

"Hmm? Did you see it when you were checking for my injuries?" Xiao Tian hummed.

Bai Feng nodded and quickly apologized, wondering if it was another thing that he was not supposed to see. Luckily the masked man didn't seem to be bothered.

"It's not something you need to apologize for Xiao Bai~ Did you find it pretty?" Xiao Tian unbuttoned his hanfu and took off his pendant. The assassin placed it on his palm, so Bai Feng could study it further.

"It looks off on you.. I never thought you're the type to wear things like this" said the informant very bluntly while observing the pendant.

"Ouch that hurts Xiao Bai— but you're right.. Why don't you take it with you then?" Xiao Tian suggested as he placed the jade pendant on Bai Feng's palm. Somehow the pendant glinted brighter in the informant's hands. But as they were busy bickering, neither of them noticed such a change.

"I didn't ask because I wanted it! I was just curious.." said Bai Feng, furrowing his eyebrows while trying to make Xiao Tian take back his pendant.

"I want you to keep it for me" the assassin explained as he wrapped his hand around the informant's, noticing how perfectly Bai Feng's hand fits in his palm.

"It must be precious, knowing that you won't keep it otherwise.." Bai Feng thought how could this man just easily hand over something that seemed to be very important to a mere stranger.

"But it suits you better than it would ever do on me" Xiao Tian stated matter-of-factly.

"That's not the point.." the informant grumbled in disbelief.

As the assassin eyed the pendant in Bai Feng's hand, he suddenly remembered how he ended up finding this necklace as a child.

"Ah, let me tell you a story of a boy who found this pendant"

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Young Xiao Tian was watching his mother fix his hanfu which got torn when he was playing outside. As the onyx-haired lady continued to sew, she noticed the impatient pair of jade eyes staring at her direction.

"Patience my child" smiled Xiao Tian's mother as she stopped to extend her hand and pat her son's head gently.

"When can I go out to play?" Xiao Tian asked as he sat cross-legged on the floor.