Chapter 30 - Investigation

Chapter Notes:

Recap: Bai Feng requested Xiao Tian's help this time, to aid in the investigation of the mysterious crimson shard that has been a hot commodity due to its versatility. Is it truly a miracle gem or does it hold a darker secret?

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

A few days later, a quite luxurious carriage stopped by in front of Bai Feng's manor early in the morning.

The assassins were already on standby when the informant went out the gates to greet his brother.

"Xiong Zhang is this.. Necessary? We could just use a simple carriage to get there.."

"Father insisted that I use this cart. I didn't think it was necessary either. But if it would make the journey for you and your friends more comfortable, I won't be against it either.." the gentle doctor gave a warm smile before nodding his head slightly to acknowledge the presence of the assassins.

Zi Shi and Xiao Tian returned the sentiment by clasping their hands together, taking their positions by standing behind the informant.

"I know I asked you to come along, but why is HuiMu here.." the informant whispered to Xiao Tian.

"He insisted on coming, and I thought he might be useful over there too so I didn't bother stopping him." the jade-eyed assassin explained.

"You do realize I can hear you both ^^" Zi Shi snarled in annoyance.

"Ah, Xiong Zhang.. Meet my other acquaintance HuiMu.." Bai Feng completely ignored the alluring assassin's remarks.

The doctor stared at the purple-haired assassin before clasping his hands together.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Chen Qiu Cheng, Bai Feng's brother."

"Nice to meet you. Please call me HuiMu," the gray-eyed assassin replied.

"Well, if everyone is ready then we can depart.." the informant suggested.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

The carriage ride was quite peaceful, the brothers sitting on one side and the assassins on the other side. Aside from occasional glances, not many words were exchanged. Until the dreaded question came to the surface.

"So, how did you three come to know each other?" the doctor asked a seemingly innocent question.

There was a heavy silence before Zi Shi shamelessly put his arm around Xiao Tian's shoulder,

"I was already this guy's friend so when I saw these two heading to an opera one day, I decided to join them. I realized the performance was not interesting but at least I got a new pal to hang out with." the half-masked assassin smiled.

"Is that so? My brother is not the best at making friends due to his uptight personality. So maybe it takes someone like you two to bring him out of his shell." the older brother seemed suspicious, yet he didn't probe further.

"I know they don't seem to be someone I would come across, but I am grateful to be able to learn a lot from them. Please rest assured Xiong Zhang, I vouch that they are trustworthy people." the informant added, while giving a look at both assassins to not lay a hand on his brother unless they want trouble.

Which of course Zi Shi rolled his eyes to, while Xiao Tian never has an interest in people who are not his target.

"Well, if you go as far as vouching for these two then I should believe in your judgment of character, brother. As for you two, please continue to take care of Bai Feng." the doctor seemed to be a little less tense.