Chapter 18 - Rivalry

Chapter Notes:

Recap: Zi Shi realized that the informant is not someone he should mess with. But how will their teamwork progress from this point on?

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

It was back to peaceful days in between missions. So it was quite unusual when Xiao Tian invited Bai Feng to go out, especially in broad daylight. After all, most of the time the pair would see each other at night. Yet the informant didn't think much of it, since he can tolerate the short-haired assassin's antiques by now.

But why is HuiMu here?!

A few hours ago, as Bai Feng was about to start his day, Xiao Tian unexpectedly stopped by.

"Xiao Bai, are you free today?" asked the masked assassin, seemingly hesitant with the question.

"Do you need anything?" Bai Feng tilted his head in confusion, it's rare for Xiao Tian to visit in the morning. He wondered if the assassin was already assigned a new mission.

"Meet me in the market at noon.. I'll be next to the tanghulu stand."

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Bai Feng sighed, he regretted accepting Xiao Tian's invitation to go out. The informant didn't even want to walk next to the onyx-haired assassin because Zi Shi was always clinging onto the man. Somehow the sight of the two assassins walking side by side— more like Zi Shi clinging onto the short-haired assassin's arm like a koala, much to the latter's dismay—annoyed the cedar-haired beauty very much.

"Xiao Bai, they're practicing for the dragon boat festival. Have you participated before?" the assassin turned to Bai Feng as the trio made a stop near the bridge, watching dozens of men preparing for the dragon boat race.

"No.. But I remember attending the festival with Shizun* when I was a child." the informant explained.

*a respectful way to address a teacher/master

Imagining Bai Feng staying in his luxurious house, and having an experienced cultivator teaching him self-defense caused the purple-haired assassin to scoff.

As expected of a prestigious family.. Thought Zi Shi.

"Oh, they're selling zòngzi*, I'll go get some" Xiao Tian left to buy them something to eat while Bai Feng was pretty much distracted looking at the beautiful dragon boats.

*sticky rice dumplings

"Hey listen.. I actually have liked HeiLi for a long time" Zi Shi suddenly spoke up. Bai Feng lowered his gaze in disinterest before looking straight at the half-masked beauty.

"...Why are you telling me this?"

"Well if you're smart enough, then I suggest you stay away from him. You're being a nuisance."

Zi Shi's smile was like poison.

"Why should I comply to your demands? Are you perhaps scared?" the cedar-haired beauty now focuses his attention back to the boats. It wasn't as if Bai Feng was infatuated with Xiao Tian that he refused to stay away from the short-haired assassin. It was just simply out of spite.

Hearing his reply, the gray-eyed assassin yanked Bai Feng's wrist, ignoring my warning just like that, who does he think he's talking to? HuiMu hissed in annoyance.