chapter 07.

vii.

Startled by the distance, the male backed away a bit but was caught off guard when she said, "Are you flirting with me?" so boldly. Mira was still processing his words as Jungwon widened his eyes in disbelief, shaking his head and denying her claim.

The girl squinted her tired eyes in suspicion, not believing him. Her obsidian eyes were staring back at his cat-like ones and it made the boy stop breathing for a moment. There was something about them that lured him into an abyss, but he shook his thoughts off after realizing how unnecessary they were.

"I like someone else," He blurted out something he planned not to tell anyone. Panicked, Jungwon immediately covered his mouth with his hand, "What I mean is—"

"I also like someone," Mira cut him off, spinning her ballpoint pen with her index and middle finger. She watched it spin satisfyingly on repeat. "But he likes someone else," She continued, smiling sadly, "Unfortunately."

Without a doubt, Jungwon could relate. He knew how it felt like, having to catch feelings for someone, but the person you like doesn't like you back.

A moment of silence passed by, the only sound heard was the constant friction against pen and paper and the soft breathing of two students. Mira wrote the last few names of her classmates before finishing. She then stood up and grabbed her bag from the floor before taking the attendance list.

She looked at Jungwon, who was already staring at her. "Thanks for accompanying me," Mira smiled. Just like that, she left the room, leaving him alone.

Yang Jungwon stood up from his seat, returning the chair back to its place, and walked towards the school gates. He stared up at the sky that was illuminated brightly above him with a hue of orange, wind nipping lightly on his skin as he let out a sigh of satisfaction.

The quietness was shattered when a familiar voice called out from behind making him turn to see Mira running towards him with a furious expression. As soon as she was close, she smacked him on the arm. The male winced, rubbing his arm at the spot she hit. "What was that for?"

"Wasn't it your idea to wait for me so we could go together? Why did you leave me back there?" Jeon Mira huffed, now walking beside him.

"I thought you wanted me to leave after you left the classroom?" He assumed.

"I left to drop the attendance list at the staff room," She crossed her arms, looking away from the beautiful face of Jungwon. He could honestly pass for being prettier than her. "I never said you should leave," She mumbled, her legs picking up their pace and now the boy was walking behind her.

"Hey, don't walk so fast," He caught up with her. It only made the girl speed up more as Jungwon continued to match her pace. For the first few seconds they were speed-walking, the next they were jogging, and the next they were running.

Thanks to Yang Jungwon's athletic body, he was able to catch up with her in no time as he grabbed onto her bag causing her to jerk backward and let out a small squeak, her back crashing against his chest along the way. "Yah!"

"Don't yah me."

"You're the same age as me. Heck, I'm pretty sure I'm older than you," Mira slapped his hand away and stared at the boy, confident that he was younger because she was born in the early months of a new year. There was a chance he could still be older though.

"No. I'm pretty sure I'm older than you," Jungwon copied her tone and crossed his arms.

"Really?"

"Hm."

"What month are you born in then?" She challenged, her chin up.

"February."

"February?"

He nodded, making Mira go speechless. To be honest, she rarely encountered people her age who was also born in February. Most of the students in Daehwi High School were younger than her and only about two out of fifteen of them were born in February.

Like what she thought, the chances of him being older was possible, but she didn't want to admit it.

Without saying another word, Mira walked away but was soon pulled back when Jungwon turned her around by the arm. A dissatisfied expression was visible on her face and it made the boy smirk. "Judging from your reaction I'm assuming you're younger?"

"No," She refused, "You didn't tell me the date yet."

"Nine."

Mira's eye twitched as she shook her hand off his grip before stomping away like a child causing a tantrum. On the other hand, the male seemed to be enjoying this. He pursed his lips, trying to hold in his smile as his dimples appeared on his cheeks.

"So I was right," Jungwon stated, holding onto her blazer and tugging it lightly to reduce her speed. "When is your birthday?"

Jeon Mira looked elsewhere, not wanting to meet his gaze as she ignored his question. It only made him annoy her more as he kept tugging on her uniform continuously, hoping his action would somehow make the girl give in.

"Jungwon, stop."

But the said boy was stubborn. Too stubborn. It got to the point where she finally gave in, "Okay fine! You're a day older than me!"

"Oh seriously? February 10th?"

Mira only sighed defeatedly in response, still a little sulky to find out he was older. By a day.

They continued to walk towards her neighborhood. The distance from her house to school wasn't far but it wasn't near either. If she was going through one of her lazy days, she would take the bus home, but today she felt like walking.

Something popped up in her mind, "Wait, why are you going in this direction?"

"My house is this way."

She stopped, "Really?"

Jungwon nodded without hesitation and pointed in the distance, "My house is somewhere there."

"...But I've never seen you here before?" She murmured.

"I stay back at school sometimes. Class president duties," He informed and the girl nodded in understanding. Soon enough, they reached the Jeon's residence standing on the front porch with them facing each other.

Mira scratched the back of her ear, "Thanks for accompanying me twice today. Back at school and right now."

Jungwon smiled. "I'll see you at school tomorrow?"

"Yeah, see you," She waved a final goodbye before opening the door and entered it after taking both her shoes off. Once he was sure she is secured, he turned his heels and made his way back home which was in the opposite direction at the next neighborhood, not forgetting to spare another glance at her house.