chapter 44.

xliv.

Yeoksam neighborhood.

A first-year student of Daehwi High School living in Yeoksam neighborhood left her house in a happy mood despite it being an exam day. She skipped her way towards the bus station, passing by numerous identical houses. The young girl wore her school uniform paired with her signature dusty pink cardigan.

A smile went up her lips knowing she was going to level up into a second year in a few weeks. She could finally claim that pine green tie, matching with a certain someone she liked (admired) for almost a year.

But when another thought crossed her mind, her smile quickly faltered. She realized that when she leveled up, that certain someone would also level up and become a third year meaning they would be receiving a different colored tie. The girl scoffed, her mood suddenly turning a one-eighty.

She slowed down her pace, huffing in annoyance. She held onto her bag strap, passing by another small neighborhood called Yochon-dong, or Yochon for short.

The girl stood by the entrance as she peered inside, her eyes wandering around the area. She gave her attention to a house in the distance. At the same time the front doors of that house opened, and two people —possibly a couple — sauntered out. She squinted her eyes at the figures, noticing the uniform they wore. Daehwi students. Pine green ties. They were second years.

The young girl watched as the boyfriend prepared his bicycle on the pavement, the girlfriend was still by the front porch putting on her shoes. She could faintly hear the girlfriend screaming out something behind her, probably to bid her parents goodbye.

Still, the first-year student went on her way to the bus station after seeing the couple mounting on the same bike. They were far when she saw them, but now that they were pedaling towards the neighborhood's entrance where she was, she froze, realizing who the two individuals were.

Because one of them was someone she liked for months.

It was even worse that she knew the names of these two students. Who would have thought they were together? What else would she assume when she literally caught them getting out of the same house?

The couple didn't seem to see her when they cycled past, but that didn't stop the first year from gasping in shock when she saw their faces, answering her suspicions. She caught a glimpse of the girlfriend gripping onto her boyfriend's blazer for protection, only making the young girl grit her teeth.

The first year could only see red. Her hands turned into fists as she frowned in irritation. Jealousy was what she felt when she saw them together. She was too late, wasn't she?

All this was just making her furious.

The couple didn't even spare a glance at her, leaving her behind as they went further away. She, who had a nametag labeled Jang Kyeri pinned to her dusty pink cardigan, was the first-year student who felt infuriated upon catching the pair red-handed.

And she needed to do something about it.

-

The school bell rang for the last time today. Finals were finally over as Jeon Mira could hear boisterous cheers coming from every direction in her classroom. She laughed, twisting her body around on the chair to look at everyone who was now a chaotic mess.

Her eyes shifted towards the pupil who sat behind her, finding the familiar face of her classmate, Seol Yoona. They shared friendly smiles towards each other before Mira got up from her chair, taking her bag with her, and approached the door.

It was around eleven. As it was the last day of examination, adding the fact that they only had two subjects unlike every other weekdays, majority were very enthusiastic and eager to go back home for a relaxing vacation after a week of sleepless nights. They were given around a month of school break. The next time they stepped foot inside the building, they will be considered third years.

"Hey, Ra! Mira wait!" A voice shouted for her as the said girl looked over her shoulder. Kim Sunoo sprinted his way towards her whilst having a large grin on display, his whisker dimples appearing. "What did you answer for question thirty-two??? The one about Johnny and William's conversation?"

The girl blinked, looking up at the ceiling as she recalled her answers. "I think I answered B? I forgot, but I remember contemplating between B and E because both answers were so similar—"

The next second, Sunoo was on the ground. His knees were on the floor, hands placed in front of him, and his head was dropped low acting like he was defeated. The pink-haired boy ignored the judging glances coming their way. Embarrassment was not in his dictionary. "I answered C ... and it's not even one of your options."

"...I could be wrong though? What if the correct answer was actually C?" Mira tried reassuring him, laughing awkwardly as the male looked up with a pout.

"Says the one who never got below ninety in every English test," He mumbled under his breath and sighed, standing up from the floor while dusting his pants. "What about question seven? When Benjamin was applying for a job at Ethan's company? What was your answer?"

"I answered D."

"Yes!" Kim Sunoo pumped his fist in victory, his mood brightening. He felt proud to have chosen the same answer as Mira as he patted himself on the shoulder, nodding his head in satisfaction. She couldn't have got it incorrect. If he got it wrong, then at least the girl would go down with him—

"Oh wait, nevermind. I was thinking about their conversation in question twelve, not seven. I answered C, not D."

You could say Sunoo had another round of mental breakdown.

Mira kind of missed having this sort of interaction with the male. They interacted sometimes, but it was not as frequent as they used to. She remembered feeling joy every time they conversed. The way he gave her attention made her feel wanted.

Past Jeon Mira would not believe future Mira's words if she told her about their lack of interaction nowadays. Her past self would be sulking knowing the feelings she felt for him and it would make her assume she didn't stand a chance — which was true.

But little did her past self know that present Jeon Mira didn't look bothered. Not like she used to at least, and there was a reason behind it.

"Mi."

Because Yang Jungwon came.

a/n; :)