Chapter 7 - "That makes two of us."

"Congrats, Courtney."

"Thanks, Tim, Wallace, Eugene."

All three boys wore goofy grins at hearing their names spoken by Courtney as she kept heading towards the main quad. A lunch table with a place to prop up her aching ankle was calling to her. As was everyone that she passed.

"Courtney, I voted for you!"

"Thanks, Jacqueline."

"Hey Courtney, I just wanted to say congrats on winning."

"Thanks. Remind me of your name again?

"Henry."

"Okay, got it. Thanks, Henry."

"Senior Class President!"

Courtney smiled. "Thanks, Edwin. I would be nowhere without voters like you."

"I know!"

"Congratulations on the win, Courtney."

"Thanks, Sharon. No, Shannon. Sorry about that."

"No worries!"

"Courtney, you won!"

"I did? No way?!"

"Congrats."

"Thanks, Juliet."

"Congrats on the win Miss President."

"Thanks, voter Miko."

So close, so close, just keep moving. Eventually, I will get there. Or die on the way. Maybe she could get all the happy voters to carry her there. A bit over the top but it was that or start crawling at some point. And that was a no-go. She might be wearing shorts underneath this dress but that was another disastrous video ready to be made. And also a terrible start to her Presidency.

"Courtney, I made a gif of you from that video!"

Oh, thank you. Exactly what I wanted: more ways for my embarrassment to be long-lasting.

"Javier, you've immortalized me. There is no higher honor, I can now die knowing I've reached the pinnacle of my success."

And die she might if she couldn't reach that stupid table. Where was a strong male who felt the need to impress a girl by proving he could carry her when you needed one?

Seriously? Did no one want to carry the new Senior Class President? Maybe offer to push her around on a scooter? She'd gladly sit on a skateboard and paddle her way to the table with her crutches. She just needed a skateboard.

Kyle blocked Courtney's path. Oh, look a strong male. But there was no way she'd let him carry her. It would only serve to make an awkward situation with Aiden worse. Right then with his long looks and attempts at talking to her but not saying anything it was already at a high level of awkwardness.

"How is it that you won when you weren't even trying?" he asked.

"Magical powers."

"You mean you're hot."

Ah, so bluntly and degradedly put.

"It's so like you. Don't do any work and win," Kyle laughed.

Yes, you're right. I don't do any work. My high GPA: didn't stay up late studying after practice, I bribed the teachers. Cheer captain: didn't work tirelessly for three years to win that role, I promised all the girls new dresses. Prominent member of the student council: haven't taken part in every meeting, done every mindless gopher task. I'm popular so that's just given, right?