Chapter 45 - "You can talk about it with me if you need to."

Rationalizing a situation and seeing the situation clearly were not the same thing Courtney decided as she stood in front of her mirror in her cheer uniform. Could she completely rationalize the fact that she hadn't been cheering for the past weeks and at times comfort eating resulting in the uniform not looking the same on her?

Yes. She fully accepted this rationalization.

Did she feel good about the situation?

No. But that's because she was standing in front of the mirror clearly seeing the end result.

Solution to the problem: avoid all full-length mirrors while in uniform until back at cheer.

Did Courtney leave the mirror in her closet?

No. Was she using it as an excuse to focus on something other than the mountain of issues in her life?

This was another no, it was just one more issue added to her list. Staring at it, did nothing but outside her closet was a phone and a blank mind on what to say to the one person she needed to say something to.

But then again staring at herself in the mirror was doing nothing for her self-esteem either. Darn you comfort food!

With a frustrated groan, Courtney shuffled out of her closet, crossed to her bed, spun around, and fell back on it. At least this dramatic option gave her a ceiling to stare at, which was better than her reflection. And at this angle, she couldn't see her phone on her nightstand. It was a win-win.

A very pathetic win-win since it didn't feel like a win-win it felt like a loser losing to their own loser-ish-ness. Not a word but it is my current state of being. Ha. And no one thought cheerleaders were losers. Plot twist!

Scrunching up her face and moaning with utter despair...

Too dramatic, already had a net drop on me, got carried out of the gym, and fell onto my bed, despair is one dramatic-ness too much.

Someone knocked on Courtney's door and she barely got the word 'yeah' out before it opened and her father strode in. Without blinking an eye at her dramatic state of being, he flopped back on the bed with her. He held up his tablet, giving her a view of the screen which was covered in some diagram with numbers written along the sides.

"I solved it," he said.

"I knew you could get a handle on basic math one of these days," Courtney said.

"The problem to your decoration issue, so keep the mockery to a minimum."

"You did. You genius."

"Exaggeration is acceptable." He pointed to the diagram with his stylus. "As you can see, your idea can still be used, adjustments in materials simply have to be made." He circled a number. "This is the length of nylon rope you will need."

"Nylon?"

"With this density, it will be strong enough to hold the decorations but won't be a hassle to handle." He tapped another number. "This is the width that needs to be between each set of hanging leaves to make it even as well as staggered."

Courtney pointed to another number. "What's this one?"

"That is the amount of gold chiffon fabric you need. Hanging it above the lattice of leaves and with the right direct lighting it will give a golden hue to the gym while blocking the ceiling."

"We can't afford that much."

"You can with the refund you will demand from the army surplus store. They failed to have the net you requested in the beginning and the one they set was the wrong size. Send Miguel, he'll get your money back."