Chapter 34 - "Did you say something to Max?"

Friday morning, Courtney stood in front of her mirror, getting a perfect view of her ensemble: bright summery outfit, one floral tennis shoe and one black and white polkadot. The mismatched shoes looked jarringly terrible and Courtney couldn't keep the smile off her face.

She posted her photo with the caption: Power clashing on another level. Subtitle - This girl can walk again!

"You sure you don't want to try a different shoe of mine?" Heather asked, leaning on Courtney's doorframe and eyeing her sister's footwear with uncertainty.

"Nope! I don't want to stretch out your shoes with my brace. I'm fine stretching out this one because let's face it, it was not a style I felt really worked on you."

"I bought it on a whim. It's a reminder why I don't buy things on a whim."

Their mother poked her head over Heather's shoulder. "What did you buy on a- Cory, why are your shoes mismatched?"

Courtney took a step back and performed a high-kick. Though she would admit it wasn't the most perfect high kick since she hadn't stretched. Still, it was one of her best since she hadn't been able to do one in weeks.

"I can walk!"

"I always knew you could manage it," her mother said. "After seventeen years I'm proud you no longer have to crawl."

Courtney grinned, feeling a little like she was being buoyed around by the lightness in her chest. Though maybe that came from not being weighed down by crutches.

"I hate to pop your happiness," her mother said. "But you're taking your crutches to school."

"But I can walk. You just praised me for my accomplishment."

At least her mother had the decency to look like she felt bad for backtracking on her praise. Seventeen and finally able to walk, a day to mark in the history books! Better yet, make it a national holiday! Let all of America feel Courtney's happiness!

"I know," her mother said. "But what happens if your ankle gets tired halfway through the day? Are you going to risk straining it again?"

Courtney crossed her arms and took up the most defiant pose could manage while still looking adorably cute in her bright colored outfit. She wasn't sure how convincing it was.

"You know your logic is really bringing down my mood," she said.

"I know," her mother said, kissing her forehead. "You have my permission to hate me until you're in your thirties and realize I was thinking only of you."

"Deal. I will now proceed to hate you."

Her mother cupped her face, beaming. Which made it extremely difficult to muster up an adequate amount of hatred. Can't a girl hate her mother without her mother making it so difficult to do so! What have these times come to?! The state of society was atrocious.

"Don't push yourself," her mother said. "It's okay to take your time."

Taker her time? She'd already taken weeks! In the lifespan of some insects that was centuries. Not the strongest argument.

"Okay," Courtney said.

At least she had the delight of carrying her crutches down Mount Everest instead of them carrying her. It was an exhilarating descent and one that should have been captured with photographers and reports at the bottom. The only person at the bottom though was her father and he didn't even notice her, his focus entirely absorbed in his tablet.

"Your shoes are mismatched," he said as Courtney headed towards the door.

"And you look like a hobo."