Chapter 23

Two hours later I was still pouring over the book, sitting in uncomfortable positions to stay awake. The book had not helped at all. Which should have been obvious, since it wasn't titled "How to revive a dragon". It mentioned that while recreating a dragon was possible by giving it a body, memories and a decision making network or a 'personality', there was no true way to make a dragon feel revived for themselves and these 'recreations' would be revived for others.

And no, I got basically none of it, and flying back to JMA to ask Starflight would take too long. So I just ignored it and read on.

However, in the bit, there was a footnote which mentioned that souls with stronger willpowers would stay on the world as ghosts. Likewise, animus with stronger willpowers wouldn't go mad.

Which still did not help my question of revival. I shoved the book away from me and got up. At that moment, a guard ran in. "Your highness, the prisoner, Sapphire, is awake, if you wish to see her."

I frowned. Did I want to see Sapphire?

"I assure you, she's securely guarded. We have chains which bind her powers and–"

"Very well. I'll go and see her." Who knows, she might be helpful. Though I doubted it.

I followed the guard out of the palace and into the eel prison. I shuddered at the memory of being stuck within with my friends...and Whirlpool dying. I determinedly pushed the image away. 

"Here, your highness," The guard bowed, pointing to a cell and scurrying away. I turned towards it. The cell is half covered in shadows, with the water blocking a lot of light. A silhouette is within the shadows, but with my approach, she steps out. It is still dark, and hard to see her, with the water refracting her body. 

"So what brings you here, Princess?" Sapphire snarls. "Here to gloat, or interrogate me? You'll receive nothing, it's no use." The voice comes out strange, as if going through sn intense filter. Which I suppose it was, with the water curtain.

I considered it for a moment. Might as well get confirmation on the story first, I suppose.

"Actually, I'm here to ask you about, well, my aunt."

Sapphire went still, then narrowed her eyes. "And where did you hear that from?"

"That's irrelevant." I hastily inserted. "So, are you Princess Sapphire's daughter?"

"Why should I tell you that?' Sapphire growled. 

"Because, uh..." I had nothing to say to such as statement.

Sapphire closed her eyes briefly, then turned away, retreating back into the shadows. For a moment, I thought that the conversation was over and that she wouldn't speak to me and that the trip was useless, but then she spoke once again.

"She used to speak so highly of him, her idyllic elder brother, ever her idol and helper. The things they got up to when they were younger, the pranks they pulled off, the jokes they had. Ever a supporter, no matter what. And of course there was her mother. A perfect queen, a perfect mother. Gentle, helpful, always making time for her. She trusted them with her life."

I said nothing.

"Such a ridiculous concept. Trust. As if no-one's heart hides dark secrets," Sapphire sneered. "Saying you trust someone is just saying there's a possibility they'll betray you." 

"As if she could trust them. Look where that got her. But still, she was a good mother. She met the expectations she'd set for her mother, gentle too, selfless. I always got food first while she starved. Anything that she found, jewellery, scrolls, money, whatever it was, she always showed me first. She was a way better mother than that flighty Queen."