Chapter 30

"So you're the infamous son of Lord  Stonefish." Sapphire's tone wasn't condemning, yet the stone cold glint in here eyes glared out  piercingly.

"I know, I shouldn't have lied to you, but  hear me out." I pleaded. "I, I was selfish, I wanted to get to know you, I didn't mean to harm you, or upset you in any way, please..."

"I'll have no more contact with you." Sapphire responded coldly. "You wanted to get to know me, yet you've hidden that of yourself as well, with lies and fabrications. Well, guess what, there are things a princess can hide too!" She snapped, glaring at me. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be returning to  begin to plan my wedding. With my finance!" She snarled, and I gaped. "Didn't expect it to proceed that fast? You expected me to break up with him eventually, and then for you to have a chance to court me? Guess what, the world doesn't revolved around you, and don't expected to get invited to my wedding either!" Sapphire turned sharply and stomped away. Yet when I recalled on her words, I realised she  had mentioned something about a  Princess hiding stuff. And coincidentally, the princess happened to me missing, though it had been hidden to avoid panic, as the princess was beloved by the people. Yet Sapphire had mentioned it too...

Of course, it could be nothing. In reality, there was nothing in that statement that could indicate anything, but yet the uncomfortable feeling remained, writhing in my stomach...

Yet aside from pain, heartbreak and upset, there was also a darkness lurking in my heart, one which shocked me once I noticed it. The jealousy and wrath that hissed and growled within me shocked me, yet uncontrolled, surged forth, and i begun to head back to my house. My parents had been getting suspicious about why I spent so much time in the  lower realm anyway. Now, they would understand.

The scene flashed again.

"You're saying you chanced upon meeting the princess, courting with peasants, while wandering uselessly around?"

"Oh, of course, i made some investigations, but I have my suspicions it might be her." I smirked, yet the smirk was painful on my face.. 

My father sighed. "Very well, I'll check your ridiculous claims and see if they're indeed true." He strode out of the room, and satisfaction and a sense of righteousness filled me. Yet another part of me filled with horror, with shame, shock at my cruelty and guilt. Sapphire was living just fine until I tore her from it. The last hope for me was to pray she wasn't the princess after all.

"You were right! She was the princess!" Typhoon exclaimed, rushing in. "You really did it! You found the princess!"

"How...how did they find out?" I bit my lip. Typhoon stared at me as if I'd gone mad.

"They looked at her wings, of course. How else would they find a true royal?"

I suddenly and finally realised why I was so convinced Sapphire was the princess; I'd once glimpsed the undersides of her wings, when she wasn't careful. We had both been slightly drunk, and I'd thought nothing of it at the time, and afterward had pretty much forgotten about it. But I had definitely seen it; now, it was so clear in my memory. How could I have missed it?

I turned to him. His excited expression turned concerned. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"I..." I pushed past him and left my bedroom. "I need some time alone."

"Oh...okay, of course." Typhoon obliged, without arguments and I internally sighed with relief. I strode out of the house and swam into the water. Regret was even more bitter now, that I knew Sapphire would be captured and contained, simply because she wanted a taste of normal life...

"I will, of course, give the princess a serious talking to," The queen assured my father.

"A talking to?  How will that be enough?" My father growled. "At least, a public denunciation would be necessary."

"You want me to denounce my own daughter and heir?" The queen growled. "For a minor discretion?"

"It is not just a minor discretion. Did you not hear of her...flirtations with a lowly labourer?  That alone has besmirched her reputation. Many nobles would disapprove."

"And by many nobles you mean you?" The queen growled. "Should I remind you who is truly the queen? Should I remind you who truly holds the power?"

"Of course, your majesty. I agree with you, of course, but many others will likely disrespect the princess for this, perhaps feel less loyal."

"Then they'll have me to answer to." The queen snarled. My father ignored her.

"And possibly even feel less loyal to you, as they would feel that you haven't taken enough and appropriate action."

"Lies. Lies! How dare you stand there and ridicule me in my own court! Out!" The queen full out roared. My father smiled grimly. "Merely a warning, your majesty. In fact, the people, even, may feel upset, and without the support of the people..."

"Out!" 

Guards rushed forward and dragged away my father away from the queen, out of the Summer Palace.

"They're executing her." Typhoon began the conversation quietly, calmly, as if scared of my reaction. Yet I had nothing to say to it. It was all my fault, and now it was too late to step back.

"Do you not have anything to say to that?"

"What is there to say?" I held out my talons helplessly. "I don't want her to be executed, but who'll listen? "

Silence.

"I loved her!" I shouted. "She was my dream, the only thing that made life bearable, palatable. I once thought life was interest worthy. I thought to help people was good. But then...everything changed...Sapphire helped so many people. She was my idol. Now, she's to be executed. She was never rewarded. And I once thought father was benevolent, but he still pushed the queen to kill the princess! What for, so he can control Princess Coral? So he can manipulate her while she's still young and influence her to follow everything he says? Why?"

Another moment of silence.

"He loves you." Typhoon quietly replied. "That's why. He thought you hated her, that you thought she abandoned you."

"I did too!" I growled. "I once blamed her, saying she was in the wrong and that she had omitted so much from me, underplaying her relationship. But why would she do that? I was the one living in the illusion all along.  I only made up blames for my conscience. I was the monster who reported her! I hid everything about me from her, not using evasion but using lies and deceit and elaborate plots and backup to make my lies seem true!"

"But at least no one was harmed," Typhoon reasoned.

"If I have the potential to do that in me, I have the potential to massacre cities." I shook my head. "There's no point. Benevolence isn't rewarded but neither is cruelty. Even controlling everything isn't enough. The aristocrats are all dumb and the queen is influenced by everything around her. But complete control's the only thing to balance life. If I was king..."

Typhoon said nothing for a moment, and I knew he'd be feeling horrified at me. But nevertheless, he spoke. "I'll always support you, Whirlpool, even if I don't agree with you. If you need anything...I'll be at your side."

I breathed deeply. "Thank you."

"No problem. That's what brothers are for."

My mind vision began blurring as the flashbacks ended, and real life returned. I struggled out of Whirlpool's memories. With a great flash of light, Whirlpool's spirit was thrown out, and then, dissolved into nothing.