Chapter 13

"What is whoever he is doing in your room?" Caine asked

"I'm not 'whoever he is', my name is, well, I don't have a name yet," he nudged me with his elbow. "Give me a name so that people won't call me random names."

"Me?" I asked.

"Yes you, you're my owner, I'm your pet, it's natural for you to choose a name for me."

"Marshmallow."

"Excuse me?" He asked. "I don't have any marshmallows here, when you saw me, I was homeless so how could I have any marshmallows?"

"I'm naming you Marshmallow," I clarified.

His face immediately scrunched up. "I like eating marshmallows but my name? You have to change that, right now."

"You asked me for a name but you're right, the name matches the fox, not you, so can you shift back now? You were much cuter in a fox form where you can't blab and rant."

He sniffed, huffed, then turned back into a white fox. Even as a fox, he was still fuming, he stomped away from me and hid under my bed, but when I looked down to check on him, he was sniffing and whimpering, his head in between both his fluffy arms.

When he saw me looking at him, he immediately huffed and looked away. I rolled my eyes. Sometimes, I just don't get men and their mountain-sized egos, they won't back down even though they knew it would bring consequences. That's based on the movies I watched though, and it might be applicable to right now, except there weren't really any consequences.

I took it into my arms, it started sniffing on my shirt, its wet snout made my shirt wet. He probably did that on purpose, but he was so fluffy that I couldn't let him go.

I was so occupied with the fox that I almost forgot Caine was in the room. He was staring at me as the fox sniffed even harder to make my shirt soaking wet.

And I actually thought it was the cutest, most adorable fox.

"Where did you find that fox? That kind of fox is very dangerous and is hunted down by almost everyone, which makes you in danger too."

I simply shrugged at his warning. "I've always wanted a pet, plus even if I was to ask it to leave it wouldn't, would you?"

In response, the fox wrapped its whole body around my neck, its fur tickling me.

"That's not the point," Caine said, exasperated. "Once people realize that that fox' species are still around, they will start hunting them down to make it their slave, or most probably suck the power out of them because it only obeys their owner, the one they choose."

The fox nodded in approval.

"Oh wait, so if I ask it to shut up, it will?"

The fox grew rigid and looked away, tightening itself around my neck, but not choking me.

"Basically, yes, but since it's the fox kind of its species, I don't think it will submit to you easily. A spirit fox is one of the hardest to tame since it's known for its mischievousness."

The fox gave Caine the 'you're just jealous of me' look, that was probably because the fox was pretty powerful for it to have many enemies and hunters.

A sudden crash in the window near my bed made me jump. What was that?

The fox around my neck grew even stiffer if possible.

It's the hunters, I heard the fox's voice in my head. It was like how my wolf spoke to me, but its voice was in another part of my head, it was softer since it didn't have the direct communication my wolf and I had.

Do you mean the hunters hunting you? I asked back, unsure if it actually heard me.

Yes, but since you're my owner now, you're also in danger. You're also the first owner I've had in centuries by the way.

Who else had owned you? I asked out of curiosity.

I only ever had 2 owners, one was a witch, but she died, the other is you, obviously. Anyways, if you don't wanna die, you better focus on the situation at hand.

Due to being occupied with the conversation going on in my head, I didn't notice that there were five hunters who had already surrounded us.

I didn't know how to fight so I was basically useless in here. The only moves I know were the ones Caine had taught me, but it was only the basics and how to dodge an enemy's attacks, and I knew that these hunters were skilled and had professional skills.

"What do you want from this pack?" I heard Caine ask one of the hunters.

"The fox. We'll take it and leave," one of them replied.

I guess he wasn't joking when he had said that the fox was being hunted, but I didn't expect hunters to suddenly pop up in my room. I mean, how could they have even known that the fox was here?

Don't give me up, don't give me up, the fox chanted in my head. Pretty please with a cherry on top? Or whats your favorite topping?

My favorite topping is rainbow sprinkles, plus aren't you the oh so powerful mighty one here? Can you, like, go attack them or something?

I can try, I'm just not used to fighting on my own, my previous owner used to fight for me because she was very powerful, the fox replied.

I allowed the fox to get down my shoulders and it suddenly leaped out the window. Was it going to leave me while trying to escape the hunters?

I haven't known it for a day yet and hunters already showed up in my room, and the fox will probably not come back, seeing that I am incapable of protecting it from its enemies and the people who hunt its kind.

I haven't known it for long but I had already grown attached.