Chapter 39

We were back at the packhouse, and I was in my bed, thinking about how the days we'd gone through a month ago

A month had already passed, and he was still asleep.

A knock came on the door, and I sat up and said "Come in," with a croaky voice.

Liana's head peeked in at the door, she slid in and looked at me worriedly.

"Don't blame yourself about anything, it's no one's fault," she said in her usual warm tone. "Besides, he's already awake."

I sat up straighter, while my wolf yipped in my head. "Really?"

"Really."

***

I was sitting on one of the benches in the park, the cool evening breeze whistled softly, blowing lightly through my hair.

I looked up at the bright evening sky, the moon was full tonight. It looked ethereal, luminous, and serene, yet it is the cause of the loud screams that came from the basement of the pack house.

Was this how it will be like every full moon?

Would I sit here by myself, watching as the moon rises at its peak while everyone else goes through the unbearable pain of shifting during a full moon?

My enhanced hearing caught the soft noise of footsteps padding against the grass, and I looked back, seeing Caine with a foreign look on his face.

The bench creaked as Caine sat down beside me, slinging an arm over my shoulder, giving me chills and warmth at the same time.

"I guess it's nice to have someone besides my brothers with me during the full moon," he said, gazing at the moon displayed beautifully in the night sky.

I looked at him, "Is it always like this? Isn't there any way for them to not have to go through this shift?"

He had a faraway look on his face, as he said, "If there was something that could be done, I would have done it. I love my pack."

"Then how did you do it to me?"

"You," he looked me in the eye. "Are different. I was the one who turned you."

Thoughts of my friends suddenly passed my mind, Emma and Ezra, and my family. I feel guilty for forgetting about them.

"Are they shifting right now? Along with the rest?" I asked softly, a strange vulnerability hidden in my voice.

"For the first time, yes," Caine answered, knowing who I was asking about even when I hadn't mentioned it.

As if hearing the worried thoughts in my brain, he brushed a strand of my hair off of my face and tucked it behind my ear, saying, "They'll be alright, I promise you that."

Mate's so sweet, my wolf purred in my head.

"What happens now, then?" I suddenly asked, remembering Marshmallow's question a month ago.

"What do you mean? What happens to what?"

"To us," I blurted out.

That seemed to trigger a spark in his eye. "I didn't think you'd actually want to be with me, so I never really thought about it. We don't really know each other that much, so I doubt you'd be comfortable starting a relationship with me."

"We could start off as friends?" I offered

You stupid dumbass! My wolf screeched. You could have said you wanted to start a relationship with him!

I ignored my wolf and looked at Caine, waiting for him to say something, anything.

"Sure, why not?"

He took me in his arms, shielding me from the cold evening breeze.

We're just friends, for now.

.

.

.

The End.

.

.

For now.