Chapter 29

Things have been going wrong, and it had just been the first day of Marshmallow being gone

I wonder how he was doing.

A loud growl interrupted my thoughts, and I realized the place where I was hiding in wasn't exactly a good hiding spot.

I looked up and saw Caine's figure tensing, his forehead is beaded with sweat, and I could tell that he could barely control his wolf from taking over.

"Go, leave me. I'll handle my wolf," he said, using his arm to wipe his sweat.

"I don't think hiding from your wolf's sight is helping, at all."

"Yeah, whenever you're out of sight, he gets more agitated, but if he suddenly takes over, I don't know what he'll do..."

He was talking about the mating of course.

His pupils suddenly dilated and his eye color darkened. I took that as my cue to run.

Black beasts who were usually adorable and cuddly started restraining him, growling whenever Caine's wolf growled, countering every attack he would make, buying me time.

I was grateful they agreed to help.

I decided that I should go to another place for the meantime. Otherwise he'd get to me by my scent every single time. Maybe I should take a quick dip at the lake nearby to make my scent faint.

"Do you think I should take a quick dip in the lake? To mask my scent a bit," I the black beast who was following me around to make sure I wouldn't get lost.

"Great, then we can go to our treehouse, it's kind of far from here but he won't be able to smell the faint scent from that far. That should hold the his wolf off for a while," his deep voice said in my mind.

I was starting to wonder why those beasts couldn't speak, but at least they could use their voices by channeling it to someone's mind, and that was like talking anyway.

The beast beside me grabbed my arm and started running towards the lake.

"What's wrong?" I asked. The beasts weren't usually all panicky and they wouldn't grab someone's arm as roughly as that without a good reason.

"Sorry about the marks on your arm. They couldn't hold him off much longer. The protectiveness of his wolf has taken over."

The beast quickly dipped my entire form down the water and then jumped down himself. Just to make sure that Caine wouldn't catch his scent to lead him to me. Once our scent was faint enough, we dried ourselves a little and waddled towards the direction of the treehouse.

Once we reached a well-hidden tree, he stopped and gently said, "Can you climb a tree? It's this one. It looks hard to climb with all the missing branches and mud making it slippery but I'll stay down here to catch you if ever you fall."