Chapter 20

The humongous beasts took advantage of Caine and Marshmallow's distraction and dug a huge hole right behind us, so when we stepped back when they were about to lunge, we fell right in.

And I thought that strong beasts didn't have brains.

And now, we're stuck in a hundred feet deep hole.

Actually, I'm kidding, I don't know how deep the hole is, I'm absolutely just guessing.

My wolf paced around the narrow hole, I'm guessing she wouldn't let me shift back anytime soon, and it was like I'm stuck at the back of my own brain. Suddenly, my wolf leaped up, and I found myself halfway up the hole.

I guess the beasts forgot to smoothen the edges.

I was like in a live movie show, I felt my surroundings shake a little when my wolf almost toppled over since the edge was really thin.

My wolf slowly prepared herself to pounce up to the surface.

She jumped up but fell right back down the hole.

I knew it couldn't be that easy.

But, of course, my wolf wasn't having any of it. She kept leaping up halfway through then trying to jump up to the top but she always lands back down from the start. The cycle repeated itself multiple times until she finally felt tired, and since she was tired, I was tired even though I didn't really do anything.

It's always like this. If the wolf or human of a werewolf exerts too much effort, the one who's having the backseat view will still share some of the effort, so if one is tired, the other also shares the tiredness. It's pretty fair that way, except the human is the one who's able to be in control longer.

Finally, my wolf went to one side and just sat down on her front legs.

Finally, rest.

My wolf and I took a nap, and the last thing I saw, or felt, was Caine petting my wolf's head.

***

I started gaining consciousness, and the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was dirt.

Dirt was everywhere.

'Course it is dumb*ss, we're inside an effin hole, my wolf muttered. 

Since when did she get so grumpy again?

Since when did you start caring?

Mood. She's probably just embarrassed that she messed up in front of her mate. I mean, all that bravado went poof.

I realized I was still in wolf form. I guess I wasn't getting control back anytime soon.

Of course you won't.

My wolf tilted her head up and saw, well, she saw Caine's right ankle, and foot.

But that wasn't it. There, on his right ankle, was a tattoo of the same flower emblem I had seen on the tree bark. Well, that might just mean that he has the curse so it's nothing.

Because of my wolf's better vision, I could see light specks on the tattoo. Light specks of, pink? Or probably red.

It's red, what are you, blind now?

I ignored my wolf's voice in my mind, well, our mind. It wasn't easy to ignore my wolf now that she was in control, it was much much harder, it was like she was speaking in a microphone but 10x louder, with annoying echoes.

I squinted my eyes as the bright light shown through the huge hole on top. Guess it's dawn already and we're still stuck in this deep hole.

"Wolfie-breath," I heard someone say.

My wolf turned her head around, in a fighting stance. I guess she was more inconsiderate when it comes to insults.

"Oop, easy there white poop," Marshmallow said, rolling his eyes.

Seriously? White poop? I asked at our mind-link.

"Duh, you're covered in mud and you're still kinda white, you look like the Pepero biscuit snack, white chocolate flavor."

I would have said those were my favorite snacks if he hadn't just said I looked like it.

"Oh wait I forgot the wolf ears, and snout, and canines. It's perfect for a new Wolf cookie, wolf size, wolf texture in white chocolate flavor, or Oreo flavor, we'll just need to cut those canines off, what do you think?"

My wolf growled threateningly in response.

He grinned and walked over, patted my wolf's head, and grinned even wider when my wolf glared at him, showing her claws off.

"Sheesh, so moody. Plus I have better claws and paws than yours."

My wolf prepped to pounce.

Sheesh, can't my wolf take criticism not too seriously? I mean, it's true, Marshies' paws are way fluffier, softer, gentler, but his claws weren't as sharp as a wolf's of course. 

So he shouldn't mess with me.

Us?

He still had razor-sharp claws, just not as long, but that can still do some damage.

My claws can go deeper.

Our claws?

She ignored me.

Guess this is how it feels like to be the one in 'second control', and the one in the 'backseat'. So that's why my wolf's so annoying.

My wolf spent so much time arguing with Marshmallow that she didn't notice the time pass by. I think she's just overly excited about the fact I can't seize control.

My wolf glanced around the hole.

And that was when I realized that Caine was absolutely nowhere to be found.

I don't know what kept me busy or if I was just too busy listening to my wolf and Marshmallow's conversation but I just noticed it right now.

And, of course, my wolf just had to start freaking out.

My wolf started acting like a fool and ran back and forth, trying to find her mate.

I mentally face-palmed. My wolf was officially proving herself to be dumber than I thought.

"Uh, what are you doing?" Marshmallow asked, his eyes following wherever my wolf went.

She's making a fool out of herself.

"Oh welp, but if you're looking for your mate then he left you."

My wolf froze.

"Just kidding, he's looking for rope."

And she relaxed just like that.

"Up, up doggy," Marshmallow said as he looked up.

My wolf's head snapped up, where a rope was being thrown down, but not all the way.

I'm going first.

She jumped up to the rope but ended up almost cutting it with her claws.

Isn't this the perfect time to give me back control?

No. I'll figure something out.

Then Caine's voice started drifting in our minds.

Would you let her have control for a while? I'll let my wolf go with you on a run.

I could literally see my wolf's eyes shining.

Sure! Just make sure to give me my prize.

A couple of clothes were thrown into the pit and I felt my bones cracking, again.

This time, it wasn't as painful, but still painful.

Marshmallow averted his eyes while I changed into the outfit.

I just need to figure out how to actually climb.

Easy peasy, right?

Wrong.