Chapter Five

When Madeleine Sinclair was twenty three old, she was to enter the marriage market

She had been able to hold it off for a few years, telling her mother that she desperately wanted to focus on her education. Her mother was not so understanding this year, however, and insisted that she finally find herself a husband else she become an old spinster.

Madeleine and Benedict sat on the swings in the Bridgerton back yard as she drolled on about how much she was dreading the upcoming social season.

"I am no doubt going to be forced into a marriage with a misogynistic imbecile who will require that I quit focusing on my education and immediately prepare for childbearing." She frowned, kicking her foot at the dirt a bit.

"I hope you do not take for granted the pleasure of being a man. Your mother has allowed you to focus on your art, you're two years older than I am and yet you are nowhere near close to finding a bride." She continued, making Benedict scoff.

"You make it sound as though no ladies want to be my bride, Oly. I shall have you know, I am well sought after. I am a Bridgerton after all." He winked, teasing her as he always did. Madeleine laughed, swatting his arm.

"Oh, and here I had forgotten, thank heavens for your constant reminders." She smirked.

"I am certain you will find an amiable match, Oly. And may God protect him if he tries to stop you from reading your books and pursuing an education."

Unbeknownst to the two of them, Violet Bridgerton watched from the drawing room window as the two talked and laughed, a small smile on her face.

"Dearest, do you think Benedict will find himself a wife this season? I do hope it happens before I fall to some illness or otherwise fatal cause." She teased, keeping her eyes on the pair.

Daphne came to join her at the window and chuckled softly when she saw what her mother was looking at.

"I do hope you are not referring to Madeleine, Mother. Those two will never recognize their feelings for one another."

"Recognize? So you think that there are feelings there?"

"I think that Madeleine has been Benedict's dearest friend since he could walk and he could not possibly imagine her in any other way. You must know better than anyone that men can be quite dense in that regard."

"Well then, perhaps we ought to give him a little push to open his mind." Violet smirked at Daphne.

Hours later, Violet sat in the drawing room with a needle and embroidery patch. Daphne sat adjacent to her with a book, and Benedict across from them sketching with a concentrated look on his face.

"Mother, I can feel your eyes on me. If you must say something, please do so." He raised his eyes to hers, quirking an eyebrow. She chuckled softly and shook her head.

"Oh, it is nothing. Although.." Benedict groaned slightly at the last part, making Daphne giggle a bit. His mother continued, "I was hoping you might escort Daphne to Lady Danbury's ball this evening. Anthony has financial business to attend to with your father's accountants and I am sure you would hate for your sister to miss out on meeting a potential suitor, yes?"

Benedict looked at Daphne, who kept her face down to her book, an amused smile creeping onto her face. He sighed, looking back to his mother and shaking his head in dismay at her efforts, all three knowing he could not say no.

"Fine, Mother, I shall accompany Daphne tonight. But do not think I do not notice your ulterior motives here." He gave her a look, standing up and bidding them farewell to go and finish sketching in his room.

Daphne looked up at her mother as Benedict left, smiling knowingly. Her mother returned her look with one of feigned innocence, raising her eyebrows.

"What?"

Daphne simply shook her head, laughing softly and turning back to her book. Anthony strolled in at that moment, making his way to the small round table for a cup of tea.

"Daphne, shouldn't you be getting ready for the ball? We only have two hours before we are to leave." He checked his pocket watch. Violet interrupted before Daphne could answer.

"Anthony, dearest, Benedict will be accompanying Daphne to the ball tonight." Anthony opened his mouth to protest, but quickly shut it at his mother's stern look of warning.

"All right then, I suppose I could use the time to myself tonight." With that he turned, nodding to the two ladies and bringing his tea back to the office.

"So, Anthony is too busy with his accounts, is he?" Daphne smirked, closing her book and looking at her mother. Violet stood, bringing her embroidery to the bookshelf and placing it down to finish later. She gave Daphne a look, one that Daphne knew meant she was up to no good.

"You should be happy with this arrangement, dearest. With Benedict on your arm tonight instead of Anthony, perhaps you will finally meet some worthy suitors." Daphne laughed softly, agreeing with this sentiment.

"It will be nice to finally be able to converse with potential suitors, but we both know Benedict is much more interested in the ladies of the ton than Anthony is. I can only hope he does not abandon me to entertain another young lady and leave me all alone to do whatever I would please." Daphne smirked, standing up and walking out of the room to go and get ready.

Violet's eyes widened as she realized that this situation was entirely too likely to happen with her second born son. She brought a hand to her head, sighing as she thought about how full she had her hands with these witty children.

Across the two backyards, Madeleine sat at the chair in her room, her mother standing behind her and delicately pinning her hair up in an intricate style. Madeleine couldn't help but smile softly as she applied rouge to her cheeks.

For the first time, and for whatever reason, she found her self quite excited for the ball tonight.