Chapter Six

Just try and observe the men from an angle which I cannot, you are a man and therefore you know when one is not up to par

Just try and observe the men from an angle which I cannot, you are a man and therefore you know when one is not up to par. And dear god, do not let me be cornered by Nigel Berbrooke." Daphne made a face of disgust as she spoke, walking up the stairs to the Danbury house holding Benedict's arm. He laughed a little too loudly and she looked around to make sure nobody had heard what she said.

"Do not worry, sister, I'll keep him away from you at all costs." He nudged her side gently, trying to get her to loosen up. "This will be fun, Daph. Try to ease your mind. Remember that you are the diamond of the season, it's the men who should be nervous, not you."

Daphne smiled up at him and nodded, taking a deep breath as they entered the ballroom, which was absolutely stunning. Lady Danbury's hosting skills never failed, and the room was clad with the finest chandeliers, candles, and flowers.

"Wow, this is rather beautiful, don't you think?" She gazed around the room. "Benedict?" She turned to him when he did not respond, only to find him staring at something behind her, his lips parted slightly. Daphne turned to see what he was so entranced by, and saw Madeleine standing across the room, smiling politely as she talked to Henry Granville and his wife.

Daphne smirked to herself. "Madeleine looks quite lovely, does she not?"

Benedict cleared his throat and nodded. "Sure, she looks fine I suppose." He tried to play it off, but he knew he had been caught staring. He couldn't help it, he had never seen Madeleine so.. dressed up. She looked absolutely delightful, and he couldn't seem to tear his eyes away from her.

Daphne smiled, pleased with her brother's reaction to his friend, and took his arm again. The two began to walk around the room, greeting people occasionally.

"You know, brother, you might ask Madeleine to dance tonight. I am certain the both of you would find pleasure in a dance together."

Benedict scoffed at this, squeezing her arm as to warn her. They approached the table of refreshments, and Benedict handed his sister a lemonade, taking a glass of champagne for himself. If he was to be stuck in this room all night, he was going to need all the champagne he could get his hands on.

"Madeleine does not dance, Daphne. She finds it quite revolting, in fact." He studied the pastries on the table in front of him before grabbing a macaroon.

"Oh, then why is she dancing with Lord Fife at the moment?" Daphne raised an eyebrow, looking at her brother.

Benedict narrowed his eyebrows and turned quickly to see that Daphne was right, Madeleine was in the midst of a waltz with Lord Fife, and the two smiled at each other while they danced. Benedict's nostrils flared slightly and he couldn't quite figure out why, but he did not like what he was seeing. He sighed, shaking his head and returning to his macaroon and champagne, unable to watch that any longer.

"She is simply being polite. I am sure he asked for her hand and she thought it rude to say no. That is all." He said shortly, offering Daphne his arm.

"Now, let's go find you a suitor, shall we?"

Daphne took his arm reluctantly, sighing softly as she thought about how much Benedict denied his feelings for Madeleine. She wasn't sure he himself even realized there were feelings there.

"Benedict, if you wish-" She began to talk to him about her, and he cut her off promptly as Lord Cho walked over.

"Lord Cho, wonderful to see you tonight. Have you met my sister, Daphne?" Lord Cho smiled and bowed his head slightly.

"I am most grateful for the introduction, Lord Bridgerton. Lady Bridgerton, would you do me the honor?" Lord Cho held out his gloved hand and Daphne smiled, taking it before turning and giving Benedict a look. He knew what that meant, it was a 'we are not finished with this discussion' look. He simply returned her look with a sarcastic grin as she walked to the floor with Lord Cho. His gaze fell on Madeleine and Lord Fife once again, the two twirling around the dance floor gracefully. Suddenly, the ballroom felt overwhelming suffocating. He grimaced, pulling at his cravat before grabbing another glass of champagne and exiting the ballroom for some fresh air.

He set down the now empty glass on one of the railings, leaning against the pillar outside with his hands in his pockets. He wished Eloise or Colin were here at this moment, for he could very much use a cigarette.

"You look like you need a smoke." A man spoke from the left of him, and he looked up to see Henry Granville walking toward him, an open pack of cigarettes in his hand. Benedict sighed, laughing softly as he took the one that he was offered.

"You have no idea how much. It is great to see you again, Lord Granville."

"And you, Lord Bridgerton. It is always a surprise to see you at these events, seeing as you despise them so." He lit the cigarette for Benedict before putting the lighter back in his pocket.

"I am afraid I was assigned to accompany my sister tonight. I would not be here if the choice were mine."

"Perhaps you need a little respite, then. I am having something of a gathering later on. You are more than welcome to stop by."

Benedict smiled at him, nodding in response. "That sounds rather appealing, I shall try to attend." Lord Granville nodded, patting him on the shoulder before walking back into the ballroom to find his wife.

Benedict took a long drag of the cigarette, sighing as he leaned back against the wall. He was angry with himself for feeling the way that he did when he saw Madeleine dancing with Lord Fife. He felt jealous, deep in his core, a jealousy which twinged at his heart, and a jealousy which bothered him more than he wished. Madeleine was his friend, and nothing more than that. She would never be more than a friend.

"You know that habit will kill you one day." Benedict cursed to himself as he heard that voice, her voice. She was the last person he wanted to see right now, but somehow, she was the only person he wanted to see. She walked up to him and swiped the cigarette from his fingers, taking a drag herself. Benedict raised his eyebrow, smirking at her.

"What was that about the habit that will kill me?"

She laughed, throwing her head back as she exhaled smoke. It was then that he noticed that she had a beautiful laugh. He cursed inwardly again, hating that he was all of a sudden having these thoughts about her.

"Not your scene?" She gestured to the ballroom. He chuckled softly, looking at the ground in front of him to keep himself from staring at her.

"You know the answer to that question."

"Well, maybe a dance with your dearest friend will change your mind." She smirked, holding out her delicately gloved hand. He raised an eyebrow tentatively, glancing from her hand back to her.

"That wasn't a question, Stubbs." She pointed out stubbornly, smiling and grabbing his hand. Benedict laughed and quickly stomped out his cigarette, following her inside to the dance floor. They walked to the middle of the floor and he put his arm around her waist, hers around his shoulder, and held her right hand in his as they began to dance. She smiled up at him.

"See, it's not so bad, is it?"

He laughed and shook his head, not breaking their eye contact. His smile matched her bright one and his jealousy was suddenly a thing of the past.

"No, Oly. It's not so bad."