Chapter Twenty-Six

Madeleine nearly collapsed in exhaustion into Benedict's bed later that day

Madeleine nearly collapsed in exhaustion into Benedict's bed later that day. The two had spent the entire day with Violet, and much to her satisfaction, it had been a rather successful day. Madeleine had been fitted for a dress that the modiste promised to have finished by Friday, and the same with Benedict's suit. Violet and Madeleine had spent nearly two hours deciding on the best flower arrangement, Benedict complaining of boredom so much that they sent him off to find Anthony to work on the invitations.

Nearly eleven hours later, the two laid on their backs horizontally on Benedict's bed, staring at the ceiling.

"I do not think I can ever look at another flower arrangement until the day I die." He groaned dramatically, taking her hand and holding it in his on his chest.

"It will all be worth it, this wedding will be absolutely perfect." She sighed happily and he squeezed her hand.

"I can not believe we will be married in four days time." He grinned, turning his head to look at her. She smiled back and parted her lips to speak, but no words came out. Suddenly, her expression changed to one of panic.

"Four days." She sat up, staring ahead with wide eyes, her breath quickening. Benedict narrowed his eyebrows and sat up, looking at her with concern.

"Mads, are you quite well?" He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, but she immediately stood and began to pace nervously.

"We have to plan a wedding in four days, Benedict. We are going to be having a wedding, getting married, in four days. I do not even- How can we-" So many questions were racing through her mind that she couldn't even finish the thought, fear clear in her voice.

"Madeleine." Benedict's voice was calm as he stood, watching her pace.

"What if the dress is not ready? What if it is all rushed and messy and, oh should we have waited? Is this too soon?" She looked up at him with wide eyes, a panicked look on her face. "How are we going to-"

"Madeleine." He repeated, a bit louder this time, stepping closer to her.

"What if this horrid bruise is not gone by then? I do not want to look like this on my wedding day. What am I-" She was cut off as Benedict grabbed her by the shoulders, firmly pressing his lips to hers. He pulled away and held her shoulders, staring into her eyes.

"Breathe, my dear. Breathe." He whispered, his voice steady as he watched her with reassuring eyes. She gasped in a rush of air, not realizing she hadn't been breathing while she fired her questions.

"There you go, just continue taking deep breaths. Look at me. It will all be ready. The wedding will be absolutely wonderful. Trust me." He urged, smiling at the girl. She sighed and nodded, placing her hands on his as she took a deep breath.

"Do not forget, the Queen approved a special license for this wedding, something she rarely does. She will make sure that it is absolutely perfect." He kissed her forehead, rubbing her shoulders gently.  She nodded again, finally catching her breath.

"Oh, I do not know what I would do without you." She whispered, hugging him around the waist. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her tightly, holding her close.

"You shall never have to find out." He s promised, resting his chin on top of her head. "I know the wedding is very soon, but I would not have it any other way."

She smiled softly and nodded in agreement, nuzzling her head into the crook of his neck.

-

For the next two days, everyone in the Bridgerton Household was on edge. Some were panicking in preparation for the upcoming wedding, such as Violet, Daphne, Madeleine, and Anthony. They hurried around the house for two straight days like worker bees, hardly taking a break to sleep. If it was not floral arrangements, it was decorations. If it was not decorations, it was the invitations. The list of things to do only seemed to grow longer as the wedding grew closer.

Others, like Benedict, Colin, and Eloise, were merely on edge because they were afraid to set off those who were panicking.The tried to stay out of everyone's way, and they were glad to do so. None were too eager to take part in floral arrangements, not when they could be 'staying out of the way' in the backyard with a cigarette or a glass of whiskey.

Benedict still tried to be as helpful as he could, aiding his brother in making calls and stepping in to calm Madeleine and his mother when he needed to.

Unfortunately for Colin, Anthony was quick to put him to work whenever he was caught in his older brother's path. He had attempted to learn his brother's patterns, paying attention to where he was at which time so that he might avoid him. Anthony never failed to find him and give him a job to do.

Eloise had been much luckier. On Tuesday morning, only the first day of preparation, Violet had asked her to help her mother and Madeleine pick out glassware for the ceremony.

"You know, I do not even know why you would wish to marry all of a sudden. It is no more than a corrupt institution designed to chain women down to a lifestyle of submission and obedience. You will likely never travel again, I hope you are aware. And you will surely never have time for reading once you have children." Eloise quipped, her voice casual as the three walked out of the house.

Madeleine's expression changed to one of worry as she listened to the girl, suddenly doubting it all. Eloise was right, Madeleine had always abhorred the idea of marriage. Violet saw the girl's sudden panic and jumped into action, turning to her daughter.

"Eloise, I just realized that Gregory may need help practicing his Latin. Perhaps you would not mind staying home to assist him." She urged, taking the girl by the shoulders and ushering her inside before she turned to comfort Madeleine.

Eloise smirked as she walked back inside, her plan had worked exactly as she wished. She felt a tad bit guilty about making Madeleine think twice about marriage, but she knew it would get her out of helping. She took off her shawl and turned the corner, nearly running into Colin.

"El, did you not just leave to help Mother? Why are you back so soon?" His voice was suspicious as he watched her smirk grow.

"I assure you, dear brother, Mother will surely not be asking me for help in any of the future wedding preparation." She proudly walked past him, going to lounge one of the sofas in the drawing room.