Chapter Twenty-Seven

Madeleine sat on the bed in the guest room, staring at the white dress that hung before her

Madeleine sat on the bed in the guest room, staring at the white dress that hung before her. It was absolutely stunning, there was no denying that. The top was a simple ballgown cut, intricately sewn together with diamonds. It drew in tightly at the torso before cascading into a flowing skirt, a long train that would follow her step. A transparent lace delicately laid on top, adorned with a floral design. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever laid her eyes on. And yet, an aching feeling guilt lingered in the back of her heart, eating away at her.

"It is a gorgeous dress, is it not?" Daphne's soft voice brought Madeleine out of her thoughts and she nodded, smiling politely at the girl who stood in the doorway.

"It is indeed. The modiste's work surely exceeded all of my expectations." Her voice was a soft whisper as she looked back to the dress, a longing expression on her face.

"And yet you are not entirely satisfied." Daphne observed, moving to sit beside the older girl and taking her hand. "What is it, Madeleine? Is something not to your liking?"

Madeleine smiled softly and shook her head, placing her other hand on top of Daphne's.

"No, everything is absolutely wonderful. It is just that.. Well, your sister seems to have gotten inside my head." She chuckled softly, shaking her head.

"Eloise? You must not pay her any mind, she has always abhorred the entire idea of marriage." Daphne laughed softly, squeezing her hand.

"That is the thing, Daph, so have I. For as long as I can remember, I have not wanted to wed. It was the last thing I wanted, in fact. And here I am, set to be married tomorrow." Her face was worried, her brows furrowing slightly and a frown tugging at her lips.

"I love Benedict, I truly do. And I can not wait to call him my husband. I simply cannot help but wonder where it all changed so drastically." She sighed softly, looking at the girl. Daphne gave her a comforting smile.

"Love holds no answers. It simply comes when you least expect it and it changes every predisposition, every thing you hold to be true. There is no use in questioning it, if you are happy then that is the only answer you need." She urged, her words making Madeleine smile at her.

"When did you become so wise, hm?" Madeleine chuckled, wrapping her arm around the girl's shoulders and pulling her into a side hug. Daphne laughed softly and hugged her back, shaking her head.

"I am not wise, simply observant. I see the way you look at my brother, and I see the way he looks at you." She sat up straight again, placing her hand on Madeleine's shoulder. "This marriage will be a wonderful thing for the both of you." She whispered, smiling brightly. Madeleine's smiled mirrored hers and she nodded, the feeling of doubt having long abandoned her.

"You are right. Thank you, Daphne. You somehow always know exactly what to say." Madeleine giggled softly and the girl laughed before standing and leaving Madeleine to her thoughts.