Chapter Seven

*warning: slight NSFW*

Admit it, you're enjoying this." Madeleine smiled up at Benedict.

"I am not hating it." He raised an eyebrow, twirling her around as she laughed, then he pulled her close to him  again.

"Have I told you that I like your dress?"

"No, I don't think you have." She smiled, looking down at her dress. It was a beautiful lilac color and it had intricate flower designs trailing down the bottom half.

"Well, I do. I think you look beautiful." He smiled softly and she looked at him with wide eyes.

"Benedict Bridgerton, did you just compliment me?" She gasped, making him laugh.

"Oh, now, don't you let it get to your head. It's big enough as is." He smirked, the orchestra fading out as the song ended. She laughed and took his arm, walking over to the refreshment table with him.

"Well, thank you. You look quite handsome yourself. Apparently you do know how to clean yourself up, who would've known?" She quirked an eyebrow, bringing a glass of champagne to her lips.

He gave her a pointed glare, fussing with his cravat some more as he looked around for his sister, finding her looking rather cornered by the man he promised to keep her away from.

"Damnit." He muttered, setting down his drink and walking across the ballroom. Madeleine set hers down as well and watched with curiosity to see where he was rushing off to. Lord Berbrooke was going on about god knows what and he smiled at Daphne with that horrid smile that was bound to give anyone nightmares. Daphne saw her older brother approaching over Lord Berbrooke's shoulder and sighed in relief.

"Lord Berbrooke, wonderful to see you. I am afraid I must take my sister now, for we have.. well, I simply must take her." Benedict gave the lewd man a forced smile as Daphne clung to his arm, the two quickly walking away toward where Madeleine stood.

"I do not know if I should be grateful for your rescue, or angry for how long you left me standing there talking to that insipid man." She shook her head and Benedict chuckled.

"I am sorry, sister. I came as soon as I saw him." He smirked, nudging her side as the two approached Madeleine.

"Lord Berbrooke, hm?" Madeleine winked, laughing as Daphne groaned, bringing a gloved hand to her head.

"I believe I am in need of some respite after that droning conversation," She spoke, reaching toward the glass of champagne Benedict had set down earlier. Benedict swatted her hand away and picked it up, giving her a stern look.

"Ah, ah. Mother will have my head if she senses I've corrupted her perfect daughter." He smirked, bringing the glass to his lips.

"Let me do it then, Lady Bridgerton could never be angry with me." Madeleine laughed and handed Daphne her own glass of champagne.