Chapter Fifteen

"I can not believe we are doing this

"I can not believe we are doing this." Madeleine whispered against Benedict's lips, making him chuckle softly. He pulled away from the kiss, placing a hand on her cheek and staring at her with eyes full of love.

"I can. I have been thinking about doing this since the night we danced at the Danbury Ball. You were wearing that purple dress and you looked.. well, you were the most beautiful one in that room." Madeleine's cheeks turned pink and she smiled, looking down. Benedict placed his fingers under her chin, lifting her face back to his gently. He knew how shy she got when somebody complimented her but he had to admit he found it rather adorable.

"You are the most beautiful woman in every room, Madeleine Sinclair. And I am ashamed that it took me so long to realize that." He kissed her forehead, and she smiled up at him.

"You are not the only one. It wasn't until we danced together that I saw you as anything more than a friend. I guess years of seeing each other in diapers will do that to a person." She giggled softly, not able to tear her gaze away from his eyes.

"Hey now, I was three when we met, long grown out of diapers. You, on the other hand.." He made a face and she laughed, throwing her head back slightly. He smiled at her.

"I want to paint you." He said suddenly, a small smirk playing on his face. She raised her eyebrows in surprise and laughed softly, shaking her head at him.

"What? I do not think-"

"Yes, come on, I want to paint you." He guided her to the chair and sat her down, brushing a piece of hair behind her ear as he stood over her. "I want to remember this night for the rest of my life." She blushed and nodded, smiling up at him.

"All right then, but you better be a quick painter. I do not do well sitting still for long periods of time." She quirked an eyebrow.

"Oh, you? I never would have guessed." He smirked and she stuck her tongue out at him. "Stay here and I will get you a drink. Maybe that will keep you busy." He winked, leaving the room and closing the door behind him.

Madeleine's face broke out in a smile as she brought her hands to her face. She laughed softly to herself, unable to believe this was actually happening. Benedict had always been her best friend, neither of them had seen the other as anything more than that for twenty three years. There was something about that night at the Danbury Ball. Something had changed between them and both of them could feel it, but neither had the courage to bring it up until now. She couldn't wipe the smile off of her face and she turned as she heard the door open, Benedict entering with two glasses of god knows what. He smirked at her and handed her the glass, taking her shoulders gently to position her where he wanted.

"Perfect." He whispered. She giggled softly and took a sip of what tasted like wine, watching him as he sat behind the easel and took out his supplies.

"You know, your mother will not like me staying in your room once she finds out about us." She laughed softly. He began to paint, starting with a simple outline of her body. She was sitting with one leg crossed over the other, a wine glass in one hand and the other resting delicately on her lap.