Chapter Twenty-Four

Madeleine and Benedict spent almost the entirety of the next three days together in the Bridgerton House

Madeleine and Benedict spent almost the entirety of the next three days together in the Bridgerton House. He refused to leave her side in fear that something would happen if he did. He could not get it out of his head that the last time he had left her side, somebody had hurt her. He would not let that happen again.

She found it rather adorable that he was being so protective over her, albeit a tad overbearing. Her ankle was much better but he still would not let her fetch her own snacks or water, or pretty much do anything alone. She knew it was because of how much he cared, though. That much was obvious. She only wished he would stop blaming himself for what had happened while the two were apart.

Late one evening, they sat in the drawing room together, the only light coming from the glow of the moon. He was in the middle of a painting which he couldn't seem to finish, because every few seconds he would become distracted by her. She looked absolutely beautiful, nuzzled into the settee with her book, the cool glow of the moonlight dancing on her face. Every so often she would smile slightly at what she was reading, or narrow her brows in concentration. He could not tear his eyes away from her. His thoughts were interrupted by a gentle knock on the door, followed by Colin peeking his head in.

Benedict looked up quickly and Colin nodded his head at him before winking and leaving the room. Benedict smirked slightly, setting down his paints.

"What was that all about?" Madeleine laughed softly, weirded out by Colin's strange behavior. Benedict walked over to her and offered her his hand, the smirk still present on his face.

"Benedict, what are you up to?" Her eyebrows narrowed in suspicion, taking his hand nonetheless. He pulled her up to stand and moved behind her, fussing with something she could not see.

"You will see in a moment," He whispered, his breath warm near her ear. Suddenly a piece of fabric covered her eyes and she started to reach up to remove it before he grabbed her hands to stop her. He laughed and kissed her cheek, standing in front of her now that he had blindfolded her with his cravat.

"Do you trust me, my love?" His voice was dangerously low, which told Madeleine that he was definitely up to something.

"Well, I have no choice, do I? Seeing as I cannot see!" She attempted to swat at him but missed, making him laugh.

"Hm, you are adorable." He poked her nose and smirked, kissing her hand before guiding her out of the room.

"Benedict, where are we going? You're beginning to frighten me!" She laughed, holding her free arm out blindly to keep from running into anything. He chuckled and wrapped his right arm around her waist to guide her, shushing her softly. She rolled her eyes, though he could not see her eyes.

"I do not like surprises, you know that. This better not be anything weird." He laughed loudly at this and squeezed her waist.

"Will you just be quiet and trust me, for once?" He urged, continuing to guide her to god knows where.