Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Benedict, I am perfectly capable of making my own tea!" Madeleine exclaimed, sitting up in bed

"Benedict, I am perfectly capable of making my own tea!" Madeleine exclaimed, sitting up in bed. He gave her a stern look, to which she sighed and leaned back again, resting against the pillows he had set up.

"You need to rest, my love. You are growing a child in your body and I have no problem with making you a cup of tea every now and then." He leaned down, kissing her forehead.

"Or making my food, or helping me dress, or helping me to the bathroom." She giggled, listing off all of the things he refused to let her do alone since he found out she was pregnant nearly two months ago. She thought it was rather sweet, despite her feigned annoyance, that he was so protective over her. He smirked and smoothed her hair back with his hand.

"So long as I am here, you will not lift a finger, do you understand?" He kissed her cheek, before leaving to go get her a cup of tea. She giggled and settled back into the bed, placing a hand on her stomach. She was starting to show a bit at this point, now about three or four months into the pregnancy.

She stood up and walked to the nursery, being careful to walk quietly so he would not hear her from downstairs. She smiled as she walked in, admiring the room. The two had worked hard to set it up exactly right and it looked perfect.

She walked over to the crib, placing a hand on the railing. She could just imagine a little smiling baby laying in there, reaching his or her chubby arms to be picked up. Her heart jumped at the thought, placing a hand on her stomach once again.

"Oh, I can not wait for you to be here with us, little one. You are going to be so loved." She smiled warmly, sitting in the rocking chair. "We already have so many plans for you. We will see the world together, the three of us. Once you are old enough, of course. And we will cry happy tears as you take your first steps, or mutter your first words. We will have a wonderful life." She closed her eyes, smiling to herself.

"Your father is going to simply swoon over you, I can already tell. He is so worried about me moving in any way that might hurt you." She giggled softly, rocking gently back and forth. She found it quite soothing to talk to the baby. She did not know whether or not they could understand, or even hear, what she was saying, but she loved doing it. Benedict did too, he would talk to it late at night when he thought she was asleep, a small smile forming on her face when he did.

"You are supposed to be in bed." A voice from the doorway startled her out of her thoughts and she rolled her eyes, smiling at him.

"You are foolish if you think I am going to lay in that bed all day, Ben. You know me better than that." She giggled and he laughed, nodding. He was well aware of the girl's restless spirit, and her stubbornness even more so. He kneeled beside her, taking her hand as he offered her the cup of tea. She smiled and thanked him, rubbing her thumb gently over his hand.

"I think it will be a girl." She smiled brightly, taking a sip of tea as she rocked gently back and forth. He chuckled and watched her, eyes full of love.

"Oh yeah? How can you tell?" He gently placed a hand on her stomach, stroking his thumb back and forth in a soothing pattern.

"I can just feel it. Can't you?" She smiled at him. "Maybe it is motherly intuition." She teased, making him laugh.

"Yes, I am sure that's it. Come on, Mother said dinner will be served soon." He kissed her lips sweetly before standing and offering her his hand.

The dinner was filled with bubbling conversation, all regarding the baby. Hyacinth insisted on sitting next to Madeleine to ask her all kinds of questions, all of which Madeleine happily indulged. Even Eloise seemed rather happy about the child, excited for her older brother and his wife.

Madeleine fell asleep that night with a smile plastered on her face, so grateful that she had the excitement and support of the Bridgerton family.

Around three in the morning, Benedict was abruptly awoken to Madeleine crying out in pain in the bed next to him. He quickly sat up and turned on the lamp, turning to her with a panicked expression.

"Something is wrong. Oh god, something is terribly wrong." She gasped, tears stinging at her eyes as she clutched her stomach, crying out again in agony.