Chapter Fourteen

Later that evening, Madeleine sat in the drawing room with Hyacinth, teaching her a song on the piano

Later that evening, Madeleine sat in the drawing room with Hyacinth, teaching her a song on the piano. Eloise and Colin sat on one of the settees, Colin chatting her ear off while Eloise attempted to read. Gregory practiced his Latin and Daphne stood near the piano, listening to Madeleine and Hyacinth play.

"There, now you try." Madeleine gave the girl an encouraging smile. Hyacinth nodded and bit her lip in concentration as she repeated what Madeleine had just played on the piano. Daphne laughed in glee and clapped when her little sister finished.

"Hyacinth you are getting quite good at that! Soon you will be better than me." Daphne proclaimed, making Hyacinth beam.

"Really, sister? Thank you!" Hyacinth adored her older sisters and, though she would never admit it, she wanted to be just like Daphne when she grew up. She considered Madeleine a sister too, the girl had practically helped raise her while Violet was mourning.

"She's right, darling. Soon you will be playing at the grand opera." Madeleine winked, nudging Hyacinth to continue. Benedict walked in, joining Daphne at the end of the piano and watching his sister play.

"Hey Daph, maybe Hyacinth could teach you a few things." He smirked and nudged her as Daphne rolled her eyes, smiling at him nonetheless. Benedict met eyes with Madeleine and gestured subtly, before walking over to the small round table on the opposite end of the room. Madeleine smiled at Hyacinth and told Daphne to take her place, standing and walking over to sit with Benedict.

"Hyacinth adores you, you do know that don't you?" Benedict grinned, watching his little sister play from afar.

"It is mutual." Madeleine smiled, watching him. She loved how much he cared for his siblings, how much all three of the oldest brothers did. "So, what did you want to speak about?"

"What, I can't speak to my friend without having a specific motive?" Benedict frowned, a teasing glint in his eyes. Madeleine quirked an eyebrow and he laughed.

"Fine, there is actually something. I am going over to Sir Granville's tonight. He is having a party and while the festivities get a bit rowdy for my taste, he is gracious enough to let me use his gallery to practice my art. So I wanted to let you know because I might be back late, and I know you are prone to worrying about me." He winked.

Madeleine laughed, shaking her head. "I worry about you because I know how you are, you aren't exactly the most responsible Bridgerton."

"I disagree! I think Anthony might learn a thing or two from me and my endless bounds of maturity."

"In your dreams, Stubbs." Madeleine giggled, sipping on her cup of tea. She looked up at him suddenly, a serious expression on her face now. He narrowed his eyebrows.

"I can see there is a question brooding behind those eyes. Get on with it." He chuckled, popping a pastry into his mouth.

"Well.. I am wondering if I might join you at Sir Granville's. I do not want to impose but a night away from all of this sounds rather pleasant. I love your family dearly but this house seems to serve as a reminder of the week's events." She bit her lip, watching him with hopeful eyes.