Chapter Sixteen

The man followed the two the whole way back to the Bridgerton Household, staying far enough behind them to go unnoticed

The man followed the two the whole way back to the Bridgerton Household, staying far enough behind them to go unnoticed. His gaze hardened as the boy kissed the girl on the forehead, the two of them entering through the front door. The door closed behind them and the man retreated back into the shadows, heading for the house directly behind it.

"Shh, you are going to get us caught." Madeleine giggled, bringing a hand up to her mouth to keep it quiet. Benedict smirked and led her up to his bedroom, closing the door behind the two. He was quick to press her against it and kiss her passionately as she smiled into the kiss. He pulled away, stroking her cheek with his thumb.

"I love doing that." He grinned and she laughed, pecking his lips.

"So do I." She smiled up at him, their hands now intertwined. He brought her hand to his lips and kissed it softly before pulling away so that the two could get ready for bed. It was at that moment that Eloise knocked on the door, calling out Benedict's name. He groaned slightly and Madeleine laughed, opening the door and smiling at the girl. Eloise's eyes darted between the two and although they were now separated from each other, a small smirk grew on her face.

"It's finally happened, hasn't it?" She crossed her arms and leaned against the doorway, quirking an eyebrow. Benedict's eyes widened as he pretended to not know what she was referring to.

"What are you going on about, El?" He looked at her quizzically, eyebrows narrowed, before glancing over to Madeleine, who was stifling a laugh.

"You two idiots have finally realized your feelings for one another." She observed, smirking proudly at the fact that she had noticed it. Benedict looked at her with an incredulous look, before turning to Madeleine, who was no longer able to stifle her laughter. He started laughing as well, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Are we really that obvious?! Mother is going to find out in no time at this rate." He laughed and Eloise smirked, watching the two.

"Mother will not notice, she is not as observant as I am. You two had better act better than that, though, if you wish for this to remain a secret."

Benedict rolled his eyes at her. "You wanted something, sister? You did come looking for me after all when you were supposed to be asleep," he glanced at his watch, "three hours ago?" He gave her a stern look, his protective older brother side coming through. It was her turn to roll her eyes.

"Actually, brother, I came looking for Madeleine. I have something I would like to speak to her about. In private." She gave him a sarcastic smile and took Madeleine's hand, pulling her out of the room behind her. Madeleine laughed, looking back at Benedict, who chuckled and shook his head.

"Eloise, where are we going?" Madeleine laughed softly as the girl pulled her down the hall to her room, closing the door and sitting with her on the bed.

"I have something to ask you, and I did not want to speak of it in front of Benedict. I have started my courses, it seems." She groaned as she said it, as though it was the worst thing in the world.