e: always you

two years later

you woke up alone.

the spot next to you was empty and the pillow was also gone. you had the whole blanket on your body and the door was open the tiniest bit.

you got out of bed and checked hiro and kyo's room. they shared a room with bunk beds after they begged for one after kakeru was born.

their room had blue walls and had both their drawings from school posted all along the wall with a few photographs that you took. also there were a few pictures of you from high school since they loved looking through your pictures that you had taken from reon's old camera.

there was a photograph of you and hajime on kyo's bookshelf. they took that one and insisted on keeping it.

hiro's dinosaur hat was hanging off the end of his top bunk and both beds were filled with stuffed animals.

but their beds were missing two kids.

you left their room and went over to the nursery where kakeru and machi slept. the day you two bought machi home, hajime used the opportunity having the guys over to build a crib for machi since you only had one and kakeru was still sleeping in it.

there was a rocking chair between the two cribs that hiro liked to go to more than anything else in the house.

and that's where he was.

curled up on the rocking chair with a blanket wrapped around him was your four year old son. his messy brown hair was even messier in sleep and he looked comfortable even thought his body was folded on the chair.

kakeru and machi were sleeping soundlessly in their cribs. kakeru sleeping on his stomach with his arms spread out and machi was sleeping on her back, her mouth slightly open while she slept.

and on the floor was your husband and second oldest child. hajime had the pillow from your bed under his head and kyo was sleeping on top of him, using him as a pillow. there was a blanket that was pulled over kyo's body and hajime's chest.

both of them looked peaceful even though they were sleeping on the floor. you wondered how they all ended up in the nursery.

when you took one step into the room, kyo's eyes snapped open. he's always been a light sleeper.

he lifted himself off hajime's chest and you lifted him up the rest of the way, not wanting to wake up hajime.

"morning, kyo." you brushed his hair out of his forehead and he laid sleepily on your shoulder.

"morning, mommy." he yawned and turned his head into your neck. you rubbed his back and walked out to the hallway so the others could continue sleeping.

"how'd you all end up in here?" you asked.

"kakeru was crying and daddy went to get him and then hiro woke up and then i woke up and we went over to the nusery and kakeru wouldn't stop crying." he took a breath. "hiro was going to go get you because kakeru always stops crying when he's with you but daddy said to let you sleep since you took care of us allll day." another breath. "so we had a sleepover with machi and kakeru."