Chapter 29 - Ice Cream and Brownies

Alyssa POV:

I've been standing outside by the carpark he always drops me off at and picks me up from and he's not here. It's been twenty minutes and my legs are getting achy from shuffling from foot to foot. I've called him twice now but maybe he is driving and that's why he's not answering so I send him another text.

Alyssa: Are you still coming?

No answer. Ten minutes later I call him again, and still no answer.

Fuck this.

I turn and head back to my room, sending another text as I climb the stairs but can you guess? yep, no answer.

As I walk back through the door, the creaking gets Mera's attention. She gives me a confused look.

Its now six forty, yep I waited forty minutes, part of me is a bit concerned that he's been in an accident or something.

"He didn't show up, and he's not answering my calls." I shrug my shoulders at her.

"Oh." She looks over her shoulder at me.

"Can you text Luke? I just want to make sure he's okay and not dying in a ditch somewhere." I half joke, but that thought gives me a bit of anxiety.

"Sure babe." Mera clicks away on her iPhone while I slump down on her bed admiring the new polaroid's she's added to her hanging museum of fairy lights.

"He said, he left the house a while ago to meet up with someone."

Someone...

"He said not to worry."

"Worry what that he is alive or that he is meeting some random that I don't know about."

Mera gives me that knowing look and swivels in her desk chair to face me.

"Don't think like that Lyss." She grabs my hands and inspects my nails which she painted before James' party.

"Why would he ignore me then?"

"Maybe his phone died?"

"No Mera it's ringing though."

She huffs out a sigh, "C'mon lets go get Ice cream and brownies and emotional eat away all this nonsense you're thinking about."

We are on our second helping of fudge brownies and vanilla ice cream when my phone starts to buzz, it's James calling. I flash Mera the screen and she gives me a slight nod encouraging me to answer it but I ignore it instead.

"Alyssa." Mera scolds me in her motherly tone, like I've come home with a bad report card or something.

"I don't want to talk to him." I stare down at my dessert and find I've lost my appetite. Spooning brownie and ice cream together to make a brown sludge.

My phone buzzes again and this time I decline the call, sending it to voicemail so he can get the message.

James: I AM SO SORRY! I'm on my way now!

Well I am not there so enjoy that.

I don't reply and I can see Mera studying my spiteful face.

"Come on babe, don't be like that, I'm sure he has an explanation."

She's right, he probably does have an explanation and I will totally hear him out but there is some fun in sending him running around worried.

"I know he will, but where's the fun in cutting his groveling short." I give Mera a wink and she flashes me a cheeky grin.

"That's my girl."