4.

After everyone finished making their rice balls, you all ate and Zenitsu and Inosuke decided to take a nap. Nezuko wanted to follow you to help do laundry, but couldn't so she went back in her box, leaving only you and Tanjiro.

As you walked away to start doing laundry, you noticed you were being followed. It was Tanjiro.

"You alright, Tanjiro? Do you need something?" you asked, turning to face him.

"Not really.. I just wanted to tag along." he said, sounding a bit embarrassed.

"I don't mind but you should be resting. You don't want to reopen that wound. That would be bad."

Tanjiro teared up a bit. Rengoku said something similar. "You.. you sound just like him." he mumbled.

"Like who?" you asked, cocking an eyebrow.

All Tanjiro needed to do was look in your eyes to answer your question.

"Oh." you frowned. "Well, come along then. If you need to, we can talk about it."

Tanjiro was silent but followed as you continued walking. Finally, you were able to do laundry!

As you started to wash the clothes in a tub, you began asking Tanjiro questions.

"So, how long did you know him?" you asked, ringing out Zenitsu's haori.

"Only for a little while. My father did a special dance every year and I found myself doing it in battle so I went with Mr. Rengoku on a mission to ask him about it because he was the flame hashira and my father's dance uses fire breathing; though that's not my breathing style." he replied.

"I see. What is your breathing style?"

"Water breathing. I was trained by the former water hashira."

"That's really interesting, Tanjiro." you say sweetly. "So, why do I remind you so much of the late Mr. Rengoku?" you ask, trying to wash the blood out of Tanjiro's uniform.

You fully expected him to cry and he didn't prove you wrong as he started tearing up.

"Don't be afraid to cry in front of me. Let it out so I can help." you say, putting Tanjiro's uniform down and standing in front of him.

He sniffled. "Even though I only knew him for one night, Mr. Rengoku felt like an inspirational older brother. I wanted to know more about my father's dance so that I can master it and kill Muzan Kibutsuji and turn my sister human again." he cried, wiping his eyes. "I'm starting to think I'm never going to turn her human! I couldn't save Mr. Rengoku because I was too weak to fight after the conductor stabbed me and I fell off the train, and now I have no way to learn about my father's dance. I just.. don't know what to do anymore."

"How'd your sister become a demon, if you don't mind?" you asked. You wanted to go in for a hug but was still afraid from the last time he wouldn't let you go.

"My family was slaughtered by Muzan Kibutsuji two years ago. My mother, three younger brothers, and my youngest sister were slaughtered. Nezuko was turned into a demon and tried to attack me but I was saved by Mr. Tomioka, the current water hashira." he took a shaky breath. "I only went to sell charcoal so my family could have a new years celebration. I had to take over as the eldest after my father died the year before my family was killed. I had no clue demons existed and if it weren't for an old man making me take shelter in his home, I probably would've been killed too. Sometimes I wish it was me instead of them because living this way is too painful sometimes. But I have to keep going, for Nezuko."

You couldn't help but cry with Tanjiro, laundry be damned. His story was so sad, you wondered how he's survived the last few years seeing how much he's grieving for someone he barely knew.

You buried your head in his chest, giving him a smug, much needed, hug. Neither one of you ever wanted to let go.

"That's awful Tanjiro.." you squeaked. "but you can't blame yourself for it. You can grieve, be sad and angry but, you can't hold all this weight on your shoulders. Don't live for Nezuko, live so you can build a future that makes you forget the past."

Tanjiro's heart aches a bit, like you gave it a squeeze to get it pumping better. He cried even harder, squeezing you a bit but you didn't care anymore. You knew you needed to help take this crushing weight off of his shoulders because if you didn't, he'd break at the seams. His strong exterior he had in place to be a strong provider for his family, was now cracked after so much misfortune; and adding another loss practically broke it in two.

You two stood there hugging for a long time, almost an hour, before Tanjiro was the first to let go.

"Thank you, Miss. (Y/n), I needed someone like you way sooner in life. I've been happy, trudging along like nothing was wrong, keeping it all in for years but this was my breaking point. Though I know that I have people that care, it feels so nice to have someone that doesn't even know me, care this much. Thank you, because of you, my tears have dried up and I can start to look forward again." he said sincerely, taking in a long, deep breath as he pulled you in for one last hug.

"I'm honored to be able to take care of such a kind soul. Thank you, Tanjiro, your story is an inspiration." you replied, taking a fresh, deep breath.

"You haven't seen me at my best so I'll show you who I really am. Forgive me for any slipups but, I want you to see the best version of myself I can be." he looked down at you as you looked up at him to meet his gaze. "I also wanted to apologize for my actionss earlier. What I did was inexcusable whether I'm grieving or not and I didn't mean to scare you. Please forgive me." he said, eyes pleading for forgiveness.

"Of course I forgive you, Tanjiro. I want to help and I'll do everything I can until that weight on your shoulders is lifted."

"Your mother was right, you are like a pure, refreshing safe haven. A sanctuary. "