13.

"Oh, good morning to you too, Tanjiro." you say hesitantly, coming back to reality.

"Did you sleep well?" Tanjiro asks, sitting up.

"Uhh, I didn't really get much sleep last night." you smile, rubbing the back of your neck.

Tanjiro's eyes widened in remembrance, "I-I'm sorry for scaring you last night! I just thought sleeping next to you might help the nightmares." the boy apologized profusely.

"That's alright. I was just concerned. You can come by anytime you can't sleep." you reassured him.

Tanjiro's eyes lit up, "Thank you!" he exclaimed.

You pat his head before standing up and stretching. "Well, time for breakfast." you say before opening your door and walking to the kitchen.

The bags under your eyes said all they needed to when everyone asked how you slept the night before. The tear streaks on your face and puffy, red eyes also said all they needed to but no one dared to ask about why they were there.

"So Zenitsu, I heard you have a great sense of hearing!" you chime.

"Oh, how'd you know?! Did Tanjiro tell you?" Zenitsu asked, over the moon.

You smile, "No silly, you did." trying to jog his memory of last night's events.

"Huh, I don't remember telling you, but I believe you." the boy smiles.

"Okay." you chirp.

You leave the boys in the kitchen to finish their breakfast as you go to say hello to Nezuko before picking more herbs to make medicine with.

As you leave sweet, little Nezuko, you're stopped by a hand on your shoulder.

"Hmm?" you hum, looking over your shoulder.

"Hey there." you hear a booming voice from behind you.

You stiffen like a board as you realize who's behind you. "O-oh, Lord Tengen, hello." you say awkwardly.

"Why'd you stiffen up all of a sudden? Relax a little, I'm not here to kidnap you or anything." Tengen questions.

"S-Sorry, Lord Tengen." you apologize.

"Hey, why are you acting so weird? Look at me." Tengen says, a little concerned.

You curse yourself, not wanting Tengen to see how bad you look.

"I have to go.." you protest, trying to leave.

Tengen slightly squeezes your shoulder, immobilizing you. "(Y/n), don't run from me. Turn around." Tengen commands coldly.

You gather the courage to face the Sound Hashira, commanding new tears not to fall.

"I knew it! You didn't sleep a wink and you've been crying!" Tengen exclaims.

"Yea well, how could I? Plus, I still have a job to do." you retorted.

"To hell with nursing slayers back to health, you look like you're knocking on death's door yourself!" the man shouts, pointing at your sleepy face.

"I do not!" you shout back. "Why are you even here, Lord Tengen?" you question.

The tall man squats to match your height before patting your head. "Because I was worried."

Your tone is cold and your head lowers, "Go away." you mumble.

Tengen stares at you, confused, ""Why?" he asks.

"You think your fake ass concerns can fool me into going along with this marriage, but it can't." you grit your teeth.

Tengen stood tall, looking down at you with immense concern. "(Y/n), what the hell are you talking about? If you're going to be my wife, then of course I'm going to be concerned about your well-being, especially after the news you got."

"Lord Tengen, people don't worry about others because they're concerned about them, they worry because if something happens to the object of their concern, what they were getting out of the relationship with the person is no more." you explain, lifting your head to meet his gaze. "Do you understand what I'm telling you? You don't care about me because my well-being is important to you, you care because it's important to keeping your clan and the corps alive."

Tengen takes a step back, offended that you dare speak to him that way. "I'll be back." he says, taking a couple more steps before disappearing.

You finally take a full breath again after realizing that you were finally alone again. "Don't.." you whisper, walking into the herb room.

As you pick some aloe vera, slice, and pestle it, you gather the strength you need to face your patients again. You try to think positive things to increase your mood before leaving the herb room, knowing Tanjiro can smell your emotions, but it didn't work.

You slam your fist on the table, causing the small bowl of aloe vera to wobble, eventually falling off the table.

You curse yourself under your breath as you start picking up the pieces of the broken bowl. As you do so, you hear quiet footsteps, stopping at the crack in the door before gently pushing it open.

"Who is it?" you ask, annoyed. You couldn't bring yourself to sound cheerful for even a second as you thought about how your life was going to shit.

The person who entered the room didn't say anything, instead they hugged you until your feelings of anger, frustration, anxiety, and uncertainty left you vulnerable in their arms.

"I heard everything. Let's just.. stay like this for a while, okay?"