20.

You wake up the next morning to see Tanjiro sitting at the edge of your bed, head down.

"Tanjiro? What are you doing?" you ask him, sitting up.

"Thank you." he says before lifting his head.

You use your knees to crawl towards him on your bed, reaching his back, "Tanjiro, are you okay?" you ask, confused.

He turns around, a slight smile on his face, "I was praying for the souls of my family and friends who've passed." he explains.

"Oh, I see." you squeeze his shoulder, his eyes say it all. "You're not okay, are you?"

A tear rolls down Tanjiro's face as he lowers his head again, shaking it before laying his head on your chest.

Your wrap your arms around Tanjiro's head and shoulders as he cries, "Another nightmare?"

Tanjiro shakes his head, "No.. it's just.. Mr. Rengoku was so brave and strong. I know even if I try, I can never be like him. It's impossible. I'll never be able to turn Nezuko human again. I give up." he sniffles and his body shakes as he exposes his thoughts to you.

"Don't say that, Tanjiro. Mr. Rengoku was a great man but you can't compare yourself and give up because of that." you coo.

"I don't care, I give up. I'm done. I can't slay more demons and lose the people I care about anymore. I quit."

You grip Tanjiro's shirt, unsure of how you can comfort him. "Tanjiro, please don't! You can get through this! You can still lose the people you love to demons even if you don fight them too!"

"No, (Y/n), I'm done! End of story!" he raises his voice, crying harder.

"Tanjiro, abandonment is a huge deal! You could be killed! Please don't leave the corps!" you plea.

"Then so be it." he mumbles, lifting his head and standing up. "There's nothing left worth living for anyway." he says as he opens the door and walks out.

"Please, come back!" you run after him but he just pushes you away.

"Just leave me alone." he says tearfully as he walks away.

You drop to your knees, defeated, "Then I'll take your place!" you offer, "I'll do it, so please don't go to the master and abandon the corps!"

Tanjiro turns back and looks at you, eyes wide, "Really?"

Your whole body starts shaking violently as your eyes fill with burning hot tears, "Yes, I'll take your place slaying demons. You wouldn't have to start for another few months so I'll start once you're supposed to."

"Thank you, (Y/n)." Tanjiro says as he reaches out a hand to help you up and you take it.

"You should go back to your room now." you instruct the boy as you walk off with your head down.

"Okay." Tanjiro says.

You make your way to Aoi's room and knock on her door, "Aoi! Aoi, please come out!" you urge.

Aoi takes her time opening the door, "What time is it?" she asks, rubbing her eyes.

"Aoi, please, you have to take care of the boys today. I can't do it." you beg her.

"(Y/n), what's wrong? You're so pale and sweaty. What happened?" Aoi asks as she puts a hand on your shoulder.

"N-Nothing. I'm fine. Please take good care of them today." you say as you walk away slowly, holding your stomach.

As you begin walking further your stomach starts cramping unbearably and you run to the nearest door leading outside, holding your hand over your mouth.