Chapter 34 - The world becomes chaos

Himiko Toga was hiding out in an apartment with a view of the city. The apartment was located on the outskirts of the city, slightly worn down with very few residents. The interior was nothing too fancy but was enough to say it was a nice home. She sat in her armchair, her head lowered, hands on the sides of her head and tears in her eyes. The pain of losing someone she dearly loved striking every piece of her body at once. Grief and sorrow was not something she was too familiar with but here she was, letting tears flow instead of blood. Toga continued her sobs but started easing herself when she heard the door open and then close. She quickly turned to look but then noticed nobody was there. That was until she turned back around and saw Batman standing in front of her. Instant fear took over so she drew a blade to her hand, albeit with her hands shaking, and aimed it at the creature of the night.

"Stay back! I didn't do anything! Please don't kill me!" Himiko was screaming frantically. The normally remorseless and psychotic killer was suddenly terrified to be anywhere near the Batman. He watched as she was panicking and then tried to calm her down. 

"It's ok, relax. I'm not here to harm you. I just want to know what happened with Twice." He said, his voice ever, monotonous. His hands were raised no higher than his shoulders and his body language indicated he wasn't trying to attack her. Toga was still crying and holding the knife towards him. He knew that if she tried to stab him the armour would protect him but she was still emotionally unstable. "Give me the knife, Himiko." His voice this time was one of concern and she could have swore it sounded like he was trying to help her. In the end, she reluctantly handed it over and sat back down.

"How did you find me?"

"You're step father talks to you every day and is worried about you. He always is."

"What does it matter? He may be a hero but he can't bring him back?"

"You mean Jin?" She then remained quiet. "What happened?" Toga shook her head as tears rolled down her face once more.

"In order to catch the person responsible I need to know what you know."

"Well, we were on a date together and we ended it off by going back to his home but when we got there he was waiting for us. Some guy in clown makeup and green hair was waiting and then he... he took him from me. I tried to stop him! I tried to stop Jin's bleeding but I couldn't! And all he did was smile and laugh! We were... we were going to start a family and quit the villain life. It seems like a hollow dream now." Batman looked down to her as she was pouring her eyes and heart out. Her heartbeat remained constant the whole time, meaning she told the truth. 

"Clown make up and green hair?" He asked, to confirm a thought in his head.

"Yeah. The evil bastard!"

"Joker. It all links. From the cipher to the horrific carved smile with a knife across his face."

"He did that while he was alive," she uttered, her voice full of hatred and teeth gritted, "and he forced me to watch!"

"Toga, what you have told me will help put him away. I will catch him and make sure he pays for his crimes. But listen to me when I say, I know how it feels to have family taken from me."

"You couldn't possibly know."

"I do. I lost my parents and then an unborn child not too long ago. Believe me, I know loss. You told me you want to quit the villain life. This is your chance to disappear and start fresh. Take it. For Jin, he would want you to." Himiko thought deeply on the decision and ultimately decided to accept the offer.

"Maybe you do understand. Sorry to hear about your loss. I'll disappear, never set foot in the city again and start a clean slate."

"Good. No more crime, or I'll find you. Good luck."